An eight-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the BYU Cougars (13-5, 2-1 WCC) when they challenge the San Diego Toreros (7-12, 0-4 WCC) at Marriott Center. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
San Diego Toreros at BYU Cougars Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Cougars easily got past the Portland Pilots, 96-70, while the Toreros lost to the Pepperdine Waves, 85-78.
BYU played a nearly flawless contest. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.2 (better than their season average of 15.6) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.627 (above their season average of 0.572). Portland was 14.0 and 0.475, respectively, for those same stats. San Diego, on the other hand, held Pepperdine to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.8 (below their season average of 28.3). TJ Haws was a key piece for BYU with 13 points and 14 assists. Meanwhile, Finn Sullivan had a good game for San Diego, contributing 25 points and five assists.
The Cougars captured this series last year, emerging victorious in two out of three games. In the most recent game, San Diego won 80-57. San Diego had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.559 vs. 0.319). BYU, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (17.4 vs. 7.7). This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
The high-powered offense of BYU (24th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 111.4) will battle against the mid-tier defense of San Diego (178th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 98.8). The Cougars should have the advantage on that side of the ball. Furthermore, the Toreros rank 260th in offensive rebounding percentage (25.9 percent), while the Cougars rank 53rd in defensive rebounding percentage (75.5 percent).
San Diego Toreros at BYU Cougars Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Byu, ATS Winner – San Diego, O/U – Over
- BYU averages 17.4 assists per game, which ranks eighth in the country. San Diego ranks 131st in assists allowed per game (12.7).
- The Cougars rank 18th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Toreros rank 63rd (3.1).
- BYU ranks 50th in three pointers allowed per game (19.2) while San Diego ranks 76th (20.1).
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.8, up from 11.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Toreros have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (5.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (11.2 above their season average).