The Utah Jazz (36-18) will be 7-point favorites at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they square off with the San Antonio Spurs (23-31). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 221.5 points and it begins at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, February 21, 2020.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Utah Jazz Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last contest. The Jazz (5-point favorites) defeated the Miami Heat 116-101, while the Spurs (8-point underdog) beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 114-106. Both games went 0.5 points over their projected point totals (216.5 for the Utah game and 219.5 for the San Antonio game).
San Antonio played a flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.298 (above their season average of 0.204) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 20.3). For those same stats, Oklahoma City was 0.200 and 13.3, respectively. Utah, meanwhile, played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 21.2) and a free throw rate of 0.235 (above their season average of 0.204). Miami was 12.2 and 0.136, respectively, for those same stats. Rudy Gobert played well for Utah with 16 points and 20 rebounds. LaMarcus Aldridge led the way for San Antonio, finishing with 25 points and 14 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, DeMar DeRozan led the Spurs to a 127-120 victory. He scored a game-high 38 points. The two teams combined to score 247 points, which was well over the projected point total of 222.5, and San Antonio covered as a 5-point underdog. The Spurs’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Jazz. San Antonio had a rate of 8.6, while Utah posted a mark of 11.1.
Games involving the Spurs have typically gone over the projected point total (61.1 percent). San Antonio holds records of 23-31 straight up (SU) and 22-30-2 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Jazz’s 54 games, 29 have finished over the total. Moreover, Utah owns records of 36-18 SU and 27-25-2 ATS.
When considering effective field goal percentage, Utah should have a significant advantage. The elite Jazz offense ranks second in the league in that metric at 0.552, while the porous San Antonio defense is ranked 21st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.539). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Spurs. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 11.8 percent). Conversely, the Jazz force the first-fewest turnovers in the NBA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 11.5 percent).
Spurs at Jazz Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Jazz rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (42.6) while the Spurs rank 16th (45.4).
- Utah ranks first in assists allowed per game (20.7) while San Antonio ranks 27th (25.7).
- The Jazz rank 15th in points in the paint per game (48.0) while the Spurs rank 29th (43.6).
- San Antonio ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.8) while Utah ranks 15th (7.7).
- San Antonio ranks 13th in fast break points per game (13.7) while Utah ranks 25th (10.6).
- The Spurs rank ninth in blocks per game (5.4) while the Jazz rank 29th (3.9).
- The Jazz rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.8) while the Spurs rank 16th (13.4).
- San Antonio ranks 26th in points off turnovers per game (14.7) while Utah ranks 27th (14.2).
- Utah ranks fourth in three pointers allowed per game (31.6) while San Antonio ranks 21st (34.9).
- Utah is 12-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while San Antonio is 2-0.
- The Spurs are 23-26 when they reach 100 points, while the Jazz are 35-12.
- San Antonio is 13-13-2 ATS on the road, while Utah is 13-11-1 ATS at home.
- In 28 road games, the Spurs have 19 overs, 8 unders and 1 push.
- In 25 home games, the Jazz have 14 overs and 11 unders.
- The Jazz are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Spurs are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Utah has 3 overs and 2 unders, while San Antonio has 5 overs.
- The Jazz’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 111.0 points per game (2.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 121.8 points per game (7.3 above their season average).