The San Antonio Spurs (16-21) and their phenomenal offense head to Toronto to play the Raptors (25-13) and their tremendous defense. Action gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 12, 2020, and can be seen on CTV Sportsnet Toronto.
San Antonio Spurs at Toronto Raptors ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Raptors (2-point favorites) won a close one over the Charlotte Hornets, 112-110, while the Spurs (1.5-point underdogs) were beaten by the Memphis Grizzlies, 134-121. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Toronto game finished 15.5 points over the projected point total of 206.5, while the San Antonio game finished 24 points over the projected point total of 231.
Toronto’s turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Charlotte. The Raptors had a rate of 8.9 (better than their season average of 12.5), while the Hornets posted a mark of 14.9. San Antonio, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (20-23; 87.0 percent). Terence Davis was a key piece for Toronto with 23 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. Meanwhile, San Antonio was led by DeMar DeRozan, who recorded 36 points, nine rebounds and nine assists.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Raptors won 120-117. The Raptors’ 7.7 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Spurs, who had a mark of 12.4. This will be the first meeting of the year between these two teams.
Spurs games have typically gone over the O/U total (62.2 percent). San Antonio comes into the contest with records of 16-21 straight up (SU) and 13-22-2 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas has been spot on when setting the O/U total of Raptors games, with an even split between overs and unders. Further, Toronto owns records of 25-13 SU and 20-17-1 ATS.
The Spurs’ DeRozan has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 27 points,4.6 assists per game. Meanwhile, Serge Ibaka has averaged 18 points,11.4 rebounds during that same time frame for the Raptors.
Second-chance points could be scarce for Toronto in this meeting. The Raptors currently rank 16th in offensive rebounding percentage (22.7 percent), while San Antonio ranks fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.2 percent). Furthermore, the Spurs’ fifth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 109.9) will face off against the Raptors’ second-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 102.1).
Spurs vs. Raptors Free Pick
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Raptors rank 18th in second chance points per game (12.9) while the Spurs rank 28th (11.6).
- Toronto ranks second in points off turnovers per game (19.5) while San Antonio ranks 27th (14.9).
- The Spurs average 5.7 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Raptors rank 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- San Antonio ranks seventh in rebounds per game (46.6) while Toronto ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (47.2).
- Toronto ranks 11th in assists per game (25.0) while San Antonio ranks 27th in assists allowed per game (25.5).
- The Raptors rank seventh in three pointers attempted per game (35.9) while the Spurs rank last (27.8).
- The Raptors rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0) while the Spurs rank 18th (48.7).
- Toronto ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.7) while San Antonio ranks eighth (7.1).
- Toronto averages 17.7 fast break points per game, which ranks third in the NBA. San Antonio ranks 22nd in fast break points allowed per game (14.5).
- San Antonio is 1-0 when they allow under 100 points, while Toronto is 11-3.
- The Raptors are 23-8 when they reach 100 points, while the Spurs are 16-17.
- San Antonio is 7-8-2 ATS on the road, while Toronto is 11-9 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 12 of the Raptors’ 20 home games, while 11 of the Spurs’ 17 road games have gone over.
- The Raptors are 2-2-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Spurs are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Toronto has 3 unders and 2 overs, while San Antonio has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Raptors’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 119.4 points per game (5.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 117.6 points per game (2.3 above their season average).