The San Antonio Spurs (37-28), the leagues top scoring defense, will square off with the Oklahoma City Thunder (38-29) at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 210.5 points with Oklahoma City set as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Free Preview
In the Spurs last matchup, they lost a close one to the Golden State Warriors, 110-107. With 30 points on 11-for-20 shooting, LaMarcus Aldridge led San Antonio in scoring. Golden State did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (20-23; 87.0 percent). San Antonio, on the other hand, held the Warriors to an effective field goal percentage of 0.474 (below their season average of 0.582).
The Thunder hope to keep it rolling after thoroughly outplaying the Phoenix Suns in their last outing, 115-87. With 27 points on 11-for-14 shooting, Russell Westbrook was Oklahoma City’s leading scorer. Oklahoma City played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.512) and a free throw rate of 0.225 (above their season average of 0.188). Phoenix recorded marks of 0.386 and 0.174, respectively, for those same stats.
Oklahoma City might have difficulty finding the bottom of the net as they clash against one of the leagues best defenses. San Antonio ranks second in defensive efficiency, while the Thunder rank 12th in offensive efficiency.
Of San Antonio’s 65 games, 34 have finished under the projected point total, while 36 of Oklahoma City’s 67 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (37-28 for San Antonio; 38-29 for Oklahoma City), but the Spurs have the advantage against the spread (ATS). San Antonio is 32-29-4 ATS, while the Thunder are 26-40-1.
These two teams have already met twice this year, each winning once. In the most recent game, the Spurs lost 90-87 but covered as 8.5-point underdogs. Dejounte Murray had 17 points, 11 rebounds and five assists. The two teams combined for 177 points, which was 23 points below the projected point total of 200 points. Oklahoma City had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (32.6 vs. 20.0). San Antonio, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (17-23; 73.9 percent).
San Antonio Spurs vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank fourth in fast break points per game (14.9) while the Spurs rank 21st (10.1).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks allowed per game (3.8) while Oklahoma City ranks 12th (4.7).
- San Antonio ranks 12th in assists per game (22.9) while Oklahoma City ranks 28th (21.1).
- San Antonio is 15-16-3 ATS on the road with 20 unders, 13 overs and 1 push.
- At home, Oklahoma City is 13-19-1 ATS with 18 unders and 15 overs.
- When allowing under 100 points, Oklahoma City is 19-5 and San Antonio is 25-10.
- The Spurs are 30-10 when they reach the century mark, while the Thunder are 34-15.
- The Thunder average 15.1 second chance points per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Spurs rank 13th in second chance points allowed per game (12.0).
- San Antonio ranks sixth in three pointers allowed per game (26.8) while Oklahoma City ranks 27th (30.7).
- The Thunder rank first in steals per game (8.9) while the Spurs rank 20th (7.5).
- The Thunder rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.5) while the Spurs rank 12th (42.4).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while San Antonio ranks 20th (16.2).
- Oklahoma City is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 3.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 109.0 points per game (6.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.8 points per game (8.2 above their season average).