It figures to be a high-scoring affair as the San Antonio Spurs (18-15), 6-point underdogs, visit Houston to play the Rockets (16-15). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 215.5 points and it will air on ATTSN Southwest at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 22, 2018.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Houston Rockets Betting Odds
The Spurs easily got past the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last contest, 124-98, despite being 3-point underdogs. The Rockets, meanwhile, were topped by the Miami Heat, 101-99, and failed to cover as 3-point underdogs. The San Antonio game finished 12.5 points over the projected point total of 209.5, while the Houston game finished 10 points under the projected point total of 210.
The Spurs had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.638 (above their season average of 0.527) and held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.8 (below their season average of 24.5). Houston, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (23-30; 76.7 percent). Houston rallied around James Harden, who contributed 35 points, 12 assists and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Bryn Forbes had a good game for San Antonio, finishing with 22 points and seven assists.
The Rockets evened the season series at one with a 136-105 blowout win in their most recent matchup. Clint Capela put up a double-double in the victory with 27 points and 12 rebounds. The Rockets’ turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Spurs. Houston had a rate of 4.5, while San Antonio posted a mark of 12.1. Houston covered as a 4-point favorite and the two teams combined to put up 241 points, which was well over the projected point total of 216.
Spurs games have a tendency to go over the projected point total (56.3 percent). San Antonio comes into the contest with records of 18-15 straight up (SU) and 17-14-1 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Rockets games, with 16 overs compared to 14 unders. Additionally, Houston is 16-15 SU and 13-17-1 ATS.
Harden has taken his game to another level recently for Houston, averaging 39 points,7.8 assists,6.4 rebounds,2.4 steals over the last five games.
This contest figures to be a shootout as a pair of the league’s best offenses clash. Houston currently ranks fifth with 110.5 points per 100 possessions and San Antonio is fourth (111.5).
San Antonio Spurs vs. Houston Rockets Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Over
- The Rockets are 25 in the NBA with 43.61290322580645 points in the paint per game while the Spurs are 26 with 43.09090909090909 points in the paint per game.
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.0) while San Antonio ranks last (24.1).
- The Rockets rank 17th in fast break points per game (12.3) while the Spurs rank 29th (9.8).
- San Antonio ranks 17th in rebounds per game (44.5) while Houston ranks 28th (40.8).
- San Antonio ranks 3 in blocks allowed per game (4.484848484848484) while Houston ranks 4 (4.516129032258064).
- The Rockets rank second in assists allowed per game (21.8) while the Spurs rank 20th (24.4).
- The Rockets rank 18 in points off turnovers per game (16.35483870967742) while the Spurs rank 28 (14.393939393939394).
- Houston ranks 13th in steals per game (8.0) while San Antonio ranks 27th (6.0).
- San Antonio is 10-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Houston is 6-2.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Rockets are 14-8 and the Spurs are 17-9.
- Houston is 7-6-1 ATS at home, while San Antonio is 6-8-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Spurs’ 15 road games, while 9 of the Rockets’ 14 home games have gone over.
- The Rockets are 3-1-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Spurs are 4-1.
- In their last five games, Houston has 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push, while San Antonio has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 113.6 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 104.8 points per game (3.9 below their season average).
- The Spurs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 25.0, up from 2.1 for the season.