Southwest Division foes will clash when the Dallas Mavericks (2-12) take on the San Antonio Spurs (8-5) at American Airlines Center. San Antonio is a 6.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 202 points. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 14, 2017, and it can be seen on KENS-TV 5.
San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks Odds Preview
In the Spurs’ last contest, they easily got past the Chicago Bulls, 133-94. Pau Gasol was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 8-for-11 shooting. San Antonio played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.8 (above their season average of 25.5) and a free throw rate of 0.153 (matching their season average). Chicago put up marks of 12.2 and 0.093, respectively, for those same stats.
The Mavericks are hoping for a better outcome after their 112-99 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last matchup. Harrison Barnes led Dallas in scoring with 22 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Oklahoma City did a great job of making free throws (25-33; 75.8 percent). Dallas, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 19.2).
Points at the line might be few and far between for Dallas in this matchup. The Mavericks rank 21st in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.181, while San Antonio ranks fourth in FTA rate allowed (0.162).
Of San Antonio’s 13 games, seven have finished under the projected point total, while 7 of Dallas’ 14 games have finished over the O/U total. The Spurs hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-5 SU and 7-5-1 ATS, while the Mavericks are 2-12 SU and 3-11 ATS.
Barnes has really been playing well over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 22.2 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Spurs won three out of four contests played against each other last season. In the last contest, San Antonio won 102-89. The Spurs played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.135 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.6. For those same stats, the Mavericks put up marks of 0.057 and 12.5, respectively.
San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank fourth in second chance points per game (14.4) while the Mavericks rank 19th (11.1).
- San Antonio ranks seventh in assists per game (23.5) while Dallas ranks 15th in assists allowed per game (22.5).
- San Antonio ranks 14th in steals allowed per game (8.2) while Dallas ranks 25th (8.9).
- Dallas is 1-6 ATS at home, while San Antonio is 1-3-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 3 of the Spurs’ 5 road games, while 4 of the Mavericks’ 7 home games have gone over.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, San Antonio is 5-2 and Dallas is 2-3.
- The Spurs are 7-0 when they reach the century mark, while the Mavericks are 2-4.
- The Spurs rank 18th in points in the paint per game (43.7) while the Mavericks rank 29th (35.3).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks per game (6.2) while Dallas ranks 25th (3.6).
- The Mavericks rank third in three pointers attempted per game (32.9) while the Spurs rank 26th (23.5).
- The Spurs rank 17th in fast break points per game (9.5) while the Mavericks rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (12.4).
- San Antonio ranks ninth in rebounds per game (45.7) while Dallas ranks 25th (41.1).
- Dallas is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Antonio is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.8, down from 8.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spurs have scored an average of 112.0 points per game (9.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 98.2 points per game (1.4 below their season average).