The league’s top scoring defense will be at home in TD Garden, when the Boston Celtics (25-9) clash with the San Antonio Spurs (15-20). Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
San Antonio Spurs at Boston Celtics Betting Odds
The Spurs come in on a high note after blowing out the Milwaukee Bucks in their last game, 126-104, as 8.5-point underdogs. The Celtics, meanwhile, were beaten by the Washington Wizards, 99-94, and failed to cover as 9-point underdogs. The San Antonio game finished 1.5 points over the projected point total of 228.5, while the Boston game went 30 points under the projected point total of 223.
San Antonio dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.3 (above their season average of 21.2) and a free throw rate of 0.193 (above their season average of 0.193). Milwaukee recorded marks of 18.5 and 0.137, respectively, for those same stats. Boston, meanwhile, held Washington to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.2 (below their season average of 22.8). Jaylen Brown led the way for Boston, recording 23 points and 12 rebounds. San Antonio, meanwhile, was led by DeMar DeRozan, who had 25 points and seven assists.
In their first matchup this season, Brown led the Celtics to a 135-115 win. He was the game’s top overall scorer with 30 points. Boston covered as a 2-point underdog and the two teams combined for 250 points, which was well over the projected point total of 218.5. The Celtics’ turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Spurs. Boston had a rate of 7.0, while San Antonio posted a mark of 11.8.
Of the Spurs’ 35 games, 21 have finished over the O/U total. San Antonio comes into the game with records of 15-20 straight up (SU) and 12-21-2 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike San Antonio, games involving the Celtics have a tendency to go under the total (58.8 percent). Further, Boston owns records of 25-9 SU and 20-13-1 ATS.
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the league’s top rebounding teams face off. The Celtics currently rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (24.3 percent), while San Antonio ranks fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.2 percent). Furthermore, the Spurs commit the fifth-fewest errors in the league (turnover percentage of 12.5 percent), while the pesky defense of the Celtics causes the fifth-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 14.9 percent).
San Antonio Spurs vs. Boston Celtics Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank 10th in rebounds per game (46.2) while the Spurs rank 14th in rebounds allowed per game (45.8).
- Boston ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (22.8) while San Antonio ranks 23rd (25.1).
- The Celtics average 15.1 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Spurs rank 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (14.3).
- Boston ranks ninth in points in the paint per game (48.8) while San Antonio ranks 25th (44.3).
- Boston ranks 15th in second chance points per game (13.1) while San Antonio ranks 28th (11.9).
- The Celtics rank ninth in steals per game (8.1) while the Spurs rank 26th (6.6).
- The Spurs average 5.7 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Celtics rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.5).
- Boston ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while San Antonio ranks fifth (14.7).
- Boston ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (33.9) while San Antonio ranks last (27.4).
- When allowing below 100 points, San Antonio is 1-0 and Boston is 9-2.
- When reaching 100 points, the Celtics are 24-4 and the Spurs are 15-16.
- San Antonio is 6-7-2 ATS on the road, while Boston is 9-7 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 9 of the Spurs’ 15 road games, while 9 of the Celtics’ 16 home games have gone under.
- The Spurs are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Celtics are 2-3.
- In their last five games, San Antonio has 4 overs and 1 under, while Boston has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Spurs have outscored opponents by an average of 7.6 points in their last five games. On the season, San Antonio has lost by an average of 1.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 104.0 points per game (6.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average).