The Santa Clara Broncos (18-11, 5-9 WCC) welcome the Saint Mary’s Gaels (23-6, 10-4 WCC) to Leavey Center. The Broncos will try to snap their five-game losing streak. The game starts at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 27, 2020, and will air on CBS Sports Network.
Saint Mary’s Gaels vs. Santa Clara Broncos ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Broncos were beaten by the Pacific Tigers, 87-74, while the Gaels easily got past the San Diego Toreros, 92-63.
Saint Mary’s played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 4.0 (better than their season average of 13.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.629 (above their season average of 0.553). San Diego was 12.1 and 0.449, respectively, for those same stats. Santa Clara, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (28-36; 77.8 percent). Santa Clara was lifted by DJ Mitchell, who had 18 points. Malik Fitts had a good outing for Saint Mary’s, contributing 27 points and six rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Josip Vrankic led the Broncos to a 67-66 win. He recorded a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds. The Broncos’ turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Gaels. Santa Clara had a rate of 14.7, while Saint Mary’s posted a mark of 17.7.
It will be a showdown of conflicting styles as the up-tempo Broncos will look to push the more half-court-oriented Gaels. The Broncos rank 44th in possessions per game while the Gaels are 323rd.
Saint Mary’s Gaels at Santa Clara Broncos Odds Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Saint Mary’s, O/U – Under
- Saint Mary’s ranks ninth in rebounds allowed per game (29.9) while Santa Clara ranks 187th (35.9).
- The Gaels are 22nd in the country with 17.5 three pointers allowed per game while the Broncos are 44th with 18.8 three pointers allowed per game.
- Santa Clara blocks 3.7 opponent shots per game, which is ranked 80th in the NCAA. Saint Mary’s ranks 88th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).
- The Gaels rank first in steals allowed per game (4.0) while the Broncos rank 169th (6.9).
- Santa Clara ranks 19th in assists per game (15.8) while Saint Mary’s ranks 180th (12.4).
- During their last five games, the Gaels have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (6.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (0.2 below their season average).
- The Broncos have been outscored by an average of 10.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Santa Clara has defeated opponents by an average of 4.4 points.