The Penn State Nittany Lions (10-3) will be at home in Bryce Jordan Center when they square off against the Rider Broncs (6-5). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 158.5 points with Penn State set as a 15.5-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Rider Broncs at Penn State Nittany Lions Odds Preview
The Broncs were victorious over the Wagner Seahawks in their last matchup, 90-84. With 19 points and seven rebounds, Dimencio Vaughn played well for Rider. Rider dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 14.6) and a free throw rate of 0.552 (above their season average of 0.273). Wagner was 18.5 and 0.431, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Nittany Lions last game, they defeated the Binghamton Bearcats, 80-65. Mike Watkins played a pivotal role for Penn State with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Penn State played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.148 (below their season average of 0.257) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.667 (above their season average of 0.516). Binghamton was 0.030 and 0.477, respectively, for those same stats.
Penn State figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Nittany Lions rank 65th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.467), while Rider is 247th in effective field goal percentage (0.505).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Rider have finished over 85.7 percent of the time, while Penn State games have finished under 80.0 percent of the time. The Nittany Lions come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 10-3 SU and 6-3-1 ATS, while the Broncs are 6-5 SU and 4-3 ATS.
Watkins has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Penn State, averaging 15.6 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game.
Rider Broncs at Penn State Nittany Lions Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Penn State, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Under
- The Nittany Lions average 9.5 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the nation. The Broncs rank 117th in steals allowed per game (5.4).
- Penn State averages 37.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 100th in the NCAA. Rider ranks 185th in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- Penn State ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (17.0) while Rider ranks 155th (23.9).
- The Nittany Lions rank 16th in blocks per game (6.1) while the Broncs rank 136th in blocks allowed per game (5.9).
- Penn State ranks 34th in assists allowed per game (10.9) while Rider ranks 153rd (15.2).
- The Nittany Lions average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, down from 13.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncs have scored an average of 81.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 85.4 points per game (5.1 above their season average).