The Richmond Spiders (9-15, 7-5 A10) will try to snap the 15-game winning streak of Rhode Island when they travel to Thomas M. Ryan Center to challenge the No. 16 Rams (20-3, 12-0 A10). Rhode Island opened as a 16-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Richmond Spiders at Rhode Island Rams Free Preview
In the Spiders last outing, they fell to the St. Bonaventure Bonnies, 97-88. With 26 points on 9-for-20 shooting, Nick Sherod was the top scorer from either team. St. Bonaventure did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (21-22; 95.5 percent). Richmond, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.6 vs. 15.6).
The Rams will look to keep it rolling after topping the Davidson Wildcats in their last outing, 72-59. Rhode Island’s Cyril Langevine had a good outing, recording 14 points and eight rebounds. Rhode Island dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.6 (below their season average of 31.1) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.519). For those same stats, Davidson was 7.7 and 0.531, respectively.
Rhode Island figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Rams currently rank 61st in offensive efficiency, while the Spiders rank 279th in defensive efficiency.
Of Richmond’s 22 games with betting action, 15 have finished over the projected point total, while 11 of Rhode Island’s 21 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Rams have a clear advantage. They are 20-3 SU and 12-7-2 ATS, while the Spiders are 9-15 SU and 11-11 ATS.
Sherod has really been playing well as of late for Richmond, averaging 21.2 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals over the last five games.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Spiders won the sole game played against each other last season, 73-62. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Richmond’s biggest advantages. They had 37 free throw attempts, while Rhode Island had just 20.
Richmond Spiders at Rhode Island Rams Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Rhode Island, ATS Winner – Rhode Island, O/U – Over
- The Rams rank 217th in rebounds per game (34.0) while the Spiders rank 283rd (31.1).
- Rhode Island ranks 96th in blocks per game (3.5) while Richmond ranks 128th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Richmond is 7-5 ATS on the road, while Rhode Island is 7-3-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Spiders 12 road games, while 7 of the Rams 11 home games have gone under.
- Rhode Island ranks 30th in assists allowed per game (11.0) while Richmond ranks 194th (14.4).
- The Rams rank second in three pointers allowed per game (14.8) while the Spiders rank 77th (20.4).
- Rhode Island averages 7.4 steals per game, which ranks 44th in the nation. Richmond ranks 115th in steals allowed per game (6.2).
- Rhode Island is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Richmond is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Rams average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.2, down from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spiders have scored an average of 76.6 points per game (6.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.6 points per game (3.0 above their season average).