Expect a high-scoring game when the Rice Owls (2-4) and the UT Arlington Mavericks (5-1) clash at College Park Center. UT Arlington is a 19-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 160 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 29, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Rice Owls vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Betting Preview
The Owls defeated the St. Thomas (TX) Celts in their last contest, 70-59. A.J. Lapray led Rice in scoring with 16 points on 4-for-15 shooting. Rice dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.580 (above their season average of 0.260) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 (above their season average of 28.2). St. Thomas (TX) put up marks of 0.049 and 17.9, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Mavericks last game, they thoroughly outplayed the Texas-Dallas Comets, 73-53. UT Arlington was lifted by Erick Neal, who registered 10 points, 13 assists and 10 rebounds. This gave him his zeroth triple-double this season. UT Arlington played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.238 (above their season average of 0.231) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.460 (below their season average of 0.620). Texas-Dallas had marks of 0.069 and 0.333, respectively, for those same stats.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, UT Arlington figures to have a noteworthy edge. Since last season, the Mavericks offense ranks 45th in that metric at 0.541, while the Rice defense ranks 148th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.494).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Rice games have finished under 75.0 percent of the time, while 80.0 percent of games including UT Arlington have gone over. The Mavericks hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 5-1 SU and 3-2 ATS, while the Owls are 2-4 SU and 2-2 ATS.
Rice Owls vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – UT Arlington, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Mavericks rank 43rd in rebounds per game (38.5) while the Owls rank 168th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- Rice ranks 139th in blocks per game (3.4) while UT Arlington ranks 226th (2.7).
- Rice ranks 59th in three pointers attempted per game (24.1) while UT Arlington ranks 309th in three pointers allowed per game (26.5).
- The Mavericks average 7.3 steals per game, which ranks 50th in the nation. The Owls rank 256th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- UT Arlington averages 16.3 assists per game, which ranks 26th in the nation. Rice ranks 179th in assists allowed per game (13.5).