The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (8-1) look to lengthen a six-game home winning streak when they meet the Rice Owls (2-6) at William R. Johnson Coliseum. Action starts at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Rice Owls vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Odds Preview
In the Owls last contest, they lost a close one to the Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros, 69-67. Rice’s Connor Cashaw put together a solid performance, finishing with 12 points and eight rebounds. Texas-Rio Grande Valley had a better effective field goal percentage (0.508 vs. 0.442). Rice, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.404 (above their season average of 0.304).
The Lumberjacks come in on a high note after just getting past the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs in their last matchup, 85-83. With 25 points on 10-for-11 shooting, Kevon Harris was the games leading scorer. The Lumberjacks had a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 19.3) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (35.1 vs. 27.3).
The aggressive Stephen F. Austin offense could be living from the foul line in this showdown. The Lumberjacks rank 28th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.300, while Rice ranks 158th in FTA rate allowed (0.237) since last season. Ball security could be troublesome for the Owls. They rank 290th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 20.7 percent), while the Lumberjacks have forced the eighth-most turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 25.3 percent).
The Owls won the sole contest against the Lumberjacks last season, 70-63. Rice had a much better free throw rate (0.306 vs. 0.167). Stephen F. Austin, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (34.4 vs. 30.0).
Rice Owls vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Stephen F. Austin, ATS Winner – Stephen F. Austin, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Owls rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Lumberjacks rank 119th (3.3).
- Rice ranks 167th in assists per game (13.5) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 225th (12.5).
- Stephen F. Austin averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 27th in the nation. Rice ranks 242nd in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Owls rank 65th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while the Lumberjacks rank 278th (18.1).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (30.5) while Rice ranks 171st (35.3).