The UTEP Miners (13-14, 4-10 CUSA) and the Rice Owls (13-14, 5-9 CUSA) clash at Don Haskins Center. The Miners will try to put an end to their five-game losing streak. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
Rice Owls vs. UTEP Miners Betting Odds
In their last game, the Miners lost to the Marshall Thundering Herd, 71-61, while the Owls were victorious over the Charlotte 49ers, 70-54.
The Owls held the 49ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.7 (below their season average of 21.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.630 (above their season average of 0.520). UTEP, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.233 vs. 0.153). Bryson Williams played a key role for UTEP with 23 points and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Rice was lifted by Robert Martin, who finished with 15 points.
In their first matchup this season, Souley Boum led the Miners to a 72-64 win. He was the game’s top overall scorer with 27 points. Getting to the charity stripe was one of UTEP’s biggest advantages. They made 25 trips to the line, while Rice went 20 times.
It will be a matchup of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Owls (ranked 99th in the NCAA in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Miners (205th in possessions per game).
Rice Owls vs. UTEP Miners ATS Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – UTEP, ATS Winner – UTEP, O/U – Over
- Rice ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (28.9) while UTEP ranks 161st (21.6).
- The Miners average 34.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 204th in the nation. The Owls rank 209th in rebounds allowed per game (36.3).
- The Miners rank 40th in assists allowed per game (10.7) while the Owls rank 180th (13.4).
- UTEP allows the 18th-fewest blocks per game (2.4) while Rice ranks 55th (2.9).
- The Owls have outscored opponents by an average of 8.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Rice has lost by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Miners have scored an average of 59.0 points per game (7.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (3.3 above their season average).