The Northwestern State Demons (0-3) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first win when they clash with the Rice Owls (0-2) at Prather Coliseum. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 17, 2017.
Rice Owls vs. Northwestern State Demons ATS Preview
The Owls got blown out by the Georgia State Panthers in their last game, 75-54. Rices Ako Adams finished with 10 points and six rebounds in the contest. Georgia State had a much better turnover percentage (15.3 vs. 30.1). Rice, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.381 vs. 0.095).
In the Demons last game, they were dismantled by the SMU Mustangs, 81-35. Iziahiah Sweeney led Northwestern State in scoring with nine points on 4-for-12 shooting. SMU had a much better turnover percentage (8.5 vs. 27.3). Northwestern State, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.163 vs. 0.149).
There should be a fair amount of transition action in this meeting that features two of the NCAAs more up-tempo teams. Northwestern State ranks 37th in possessions per game (73.1) and Rice is 21st (74.1) since the 2016-17 season. Additionally, the sharp-shooting offense of the Owls ranks 55th in effective field goal percentage (0.537), while the Demons have been 33rd-worst in the nation at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.535).
The Owls won the sole contest against the Demons last season, 100-93. Rices 0.688 effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Northwestern State, who had a rate of 0.532.
Rice Owls vs. Northwestern State Demons Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northwestern State, ATS Winner – Northwestern State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Owls rank 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Demons rank 161st (3.5).
- Northwestern State ranks 127th in steals per game (6.5) while Rice ranks 248th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- Rice averages 38.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 65th in the NCAA. Northwestern State ranks 252nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.4).
- The Owls rank 59th in three pointers attempted per game (24.1) while the Demons rank 245th (18.9).
- Rice averages 13.7 assists per game, which ranks 150th in the NCAA. Northwestern State ranks 296th in assists allowed per game (16.6).