The Radford Highlanders (19-9, 14-2 BigSou) and the Hampton Pirates (13-16, 8-8 BigSou) go head-to-head at Hampton Convocation Center. The Highlanders will try to lengthen their nine-game winning streak. The game starts at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 27, 2020, and will air on ESPNU.
Radford Highlanders at Hampton Pirates Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Pirates defeated the Winthrop Eagles 87-81, while the Highlanders had no trouble getting past the USC Upstate Spartans 81-60.
Radford played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 14.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.535). USC Upstate was 15.5 and 0.404, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Hampton’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Winthrop. The Pirates had a rate of 0.386 (above their season average of 0.286), while the Eagles posted a mark of 0.242. Hampton’s Davion Warren played well, contributing 18 points and 11 rebounds. Carlik Jones, meanwhile played a key role for Radford with 22 points, seven rebounds and seven assists.
In their first matchup this year, Jones led the Highlanders to an 83-79 victory. He registered a double-double with 33 points and 10 assists. The Highlanders’ 7.7 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Pirates, who had a rate of 11.7.
It will be a battle of contrasting paces as the up-and-down Pirates will look to push the more methodical Highlanders. The Pirates currently rank 51st in possessions per game while the Highlanders are 336th. Also, the 19th-ranked offense of the Highlanders (offensive efficiency of 111.5) will try to take advantage of the 338th-ranked defense of the Pirates (defensive efficiency of 110.7).
Radford at Hampton Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Radford, ATS Winner – Radford, O/U – Under
- Radford ranks 64th in rebounds allowed per game (32.8) while Hampton ranks 227th (37.1).
- The Highlanders rank third in steals allowed per game (4.3) while the Pirates rank 82nd (5.9).
- Hampton blocks 4.0 opponent shots per game, which ranks 56th in the nation. Radford ranks 59th in blocks allowed per game (2.8).
- The Highlanders rank 99th in assists allowed per game (12.0) while the Pirates rank 239th (15.0).
- Radford ranks 151st in three pointers attempted per game (21.8) while Hampton ranks 281st (17.8).
- The Highlanders’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.6, up from 6.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 74.2 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (4.0 below their season average).