Expect a defensive battle when the Purdue Boilermakers (10-7, 3-3 Big 10) clash with the 17th-ranked Maryland Terrapins (13-4, 3-3 Big 10) at Xfinity Center. The game can be seen on ESPN2 at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020.
Purdue Boilermakers at Maryland Terrapins Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Terrapins lost a winnable game to the Wisconsin Badgers, 56-54, while the Boilermakers had no trouble getting past the eighth-ranked Michigan State Spartans, 71-42.
Purdue dominated every stat category in the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 8.5 (better than their season average of 15.1) and a free throw rate of 0.193 (above their season average of 0.171). Michigan State was 25.1 and 0.078, respectively, for those same stats. Maryland, meanwhile, held Wisconsin to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.8 (below their season average of 26.6). Jalen Smith put together a solid performance for Maryland with 18 points and nine rebounds. Trevion Williams, meanwhile led the way for Purdue, putting up 16 points and seven rebounds.
This was a highly contested series last year, as the teams split their two games last season. The Terrapins won the last game 70-56. Maryland had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.577 vs. 0.331). Purdue, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (4.9 vs. 15.8). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
This matchup figures to be low-scoring as two of the nation’s best defenses go head-to-head. Maryland currently ranks 20th in defensive efficiency (88.6) and Purdue is 25th (89.1). Additionally, the Boilermakers rank 322nd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.172), while the Terrapins rank 14th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.153).
Purdue Boilermakers vs. Maryland Terrapins Free Pick
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Over
- Purdue averages 22.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 108th in the nation. Maryland ranks 194th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- The Boilermakers rank 37th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Terrapins rank 83rd (6.2).
- Purdue averages 14.3 assists per game, which ranks 81st in the NCAA. Maryland ranks 112th in assists allowed per game (12.2).
- The Terrapins average 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 29th in the NCAA. The Boilermakers rank 113th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Maryland ranks 18th in rebounds per game (41.1) while Purdue ranks 84th in rebounds allowed per game (33.5).
- During their last five games, the Boilermakers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.8 points per game (6.2 above their season average).
- The Terrapins’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 10.7 for the season.