The 12th-ranked Villanova Wildcats (22-6, 11-4 Big East) wrap up their home schedule at Wells Fargo Center against the Providence Friars (16-12, 9-6 Big East). Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Providence Friars at Villanova Wildcats Betting Odds
Both teams beat their last opponent. The Wildcats defeated the St. John’s Red Storm 71-60, while the Friars beat the 19th-ranked Marquette Golden Eagles 84-72.
The Friars forced 18 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.464). Villanova, meanwhile, dominated nearly every facet of their game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.314 (above their season average of 0.200) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.8 (below their season average of 26.2). St. John’s put up marks of 0.182 and 17.4, respectively, for those same stats. Saddiq Bey played a key role for Villanova with 23 points. Luwane Pipkins, meanwhile had a good outing for Providence, putting up 24 points.
In their first matchup this season, Collin Gillespie led the Wildcats to a 64-60 victory. He produced 18 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Villanova’s 0.500 effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Providence, who had a mark of 0.341.
Based on each team’s statistical profile, ball security could play an integral role in this matchup. Villanova commits the 23rd-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent), while the pesky defense of Providence forces the 51st-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 21.9 percent). Also, the Friars, who rank 27th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.0 percent), will face a tough test against the Wildcats, who rank 46th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.5 percent).
Providence Friars at Villanova Wildcats Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Villanova, ATS Winner – Providence, O/U – Under
- Providence ranks 25th in steals per game (8.4) while Villanova ranks 172nd (5.7).
- The Friars average 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 45th in the nation. The Wildcats rank 99th in assists allowed per game (12.0).
- Providence ranks 92nd in blocks per game (3.5) while Villanova ranks 122nd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- The Wildcats rank 22nd in three pointers attempted per game (27.4) while the Friars rank 138th (22.1).
- Villanova averages 36.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 106th in the country. Providence ranks 170th in rebounds allowed per game (35.7).
- The Wildcats’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 7.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (3.3 above their season average).