The No. 25 Creighton Bluejays (10-3, 0-1 Big East) can lengthen a nine-game home winning streak when they challenge the Providence Friars (10-4, 1-0 Big East) at CenturyLink Center Omaha. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 154 points with Creighton set as an 8-point favorite. Action starts at 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Providence Friars vs. Creighton Bluejays Betting Preview
The last time the Friars played, they won big over the St. John’s Red Storm, 94-72. Kyron Cartwright was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Providence dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.672 (above their season average of 0.526) and a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 17.0). For those same stats, St. John’s put up marks of 0.492 and 13.6, respectively.
The Bluejays are trying to rebound after their 90-84 loss to the No. 23 Seton Hall Pirates in their last matchup. Martin Krampelj was Creighton’s leading scorer with 23 points on 11-for-16 shooting. Seton Hall had a free throw rate of 0.349 (above their season average of 0.230). Creighton, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (13.4 vs. 14.4).
The prolific offense of Creighton (ninth in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 122.0) will face off against the mid-tier defense of Providence (145th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 100.3). The Bluejays should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Games involving these teams have a tendency to go over the projected point total. Providence games have finished over 75.0 percent of the time, while 75.0 percent of Creighton games have finished over. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (10-4 for Providence; 10-3 for Creighton), but the Bluejays have the edge against the spread (ATS). Creighton is 7-5 ATS, while the Friars are 3-9.
Rodney Bullock has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Providence, averaging 20.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bluejays won two out of three games last season. In the most recent game, Creighton won 70-58. The Bluejays dominated every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 17.0 and an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.370. For those same stats, the Friars recorded marks of 26.4 and 0.280, respectively.
Providence Friars vs. Creighton Bluejays Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Creighton, ATS Winner – Creighton, O/U – Over
- The Friars average 7.2 steals per game, which ranks 69th in the NCAA. The Bluejays rank 82nd in steals allowed per game (5.9).
- Providence ranks 71st in blocks per game (4.1) while Creighton ranks 75th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- Providence is 2-4 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Creighton is 5-2 ATS with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- Creighton ranks 20th in three pointers attempted per game (27.9) while Providence ranks 222nd (18.8).
- The Bluejays rank 30th in rebounds per game (40.5) while the Friars rank 146th (36.1).
- Creighton ranks fifth in assists per game (19.7) while Providence ranks 91st (14.9).
- Creighton is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Providence is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bluejays average margin of victory in their last five games has been 23.6, up from 18.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (0.6 below their season average).