The Prairie View A&M Panthers (2-8), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they visit Health & PE Center to go head-to-head with the Houston Cougars (8-2). Action begins at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 17, 2017.
Prairie View A&M Panthers vs. Houston Cougars Odds Preview
In the Panthers last matchup, they fell to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 77-73. With 21 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Gary Blackston was the games leading scorer. Tulsa did a great job of making free throws (25-32; 78.1 percent). Prairie View A&M, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (16.7 vs. 19.7).
The Cougars are trying to rebound after their 80-77 loss to the LSU Tigers in their last contest. Rob Gray Jr. was Houston’s leading scorer with 20 points on 7-for-16 shooting. LSU did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (17-20; 85.0 percent). Houston, meanwhile, held the Tigers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.516 (below their season average of 0.607).
Ball security could play a significant role in this showdown. Houston commits the 30th-fewest miscues in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 19.5 percent), while the disruptive defense of Prairie View A&M forces the 41st-most (opponents turnover percentage of 23.1 percent).
Blackston has been excellent over the last five games for Prairie View A&M, averaging 21.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Cougars won the lone game played against each other last season, 105-61. The Cougars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 48.7 and a turnover percentage of 14.6. The Panthers were 11.4 and 24.2, respectively, for those same stats.
Prairie View A&M Panthers vs. Houston Cougars ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – Houston, O/U – Under
- The Cougars are 23rd in the nation with 5.6 steals allowed per game while the Panthers are 45th with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- Houston ranks 97th in rebounds allowed per game (30.6) while Prairie View A&M ranks 226th (38.2).
- The Cougars rank 27th in assists allowed per game (10.0) while the Panthers rank 141st (13.8).
- Houston averages 3.1 blocks per game, which ranks 103rd in the NCAA. Prairie View A&M ranks 178th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- The Cougars average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.6, up from 14.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 61.8 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (4.7 below their season average).