The Eastern Kentucky Colonels (2-1) and the Prairie View A&M Panthers (0-3) square off in the MGM Resorts Main Event Middleweight at T-Mobile Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 151 points with Eastern Kentucky set as a 10-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET on Monday, November 20, 2017.
Prairie View A&M Panthers vs. Eastern Kentucky Colonels Odds Preview
The Panthers got blown out by the UNLV Runnin Rebels in their last game, 98-63. Prairie View A&Ms Shaq Preston contributed 10 points and six rebounds in the contest. UNLVs effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Prairie View A&M. The Runnin Rebels had a rate of 0.556, while the Panthers posted a mark of 0.338.
The last time the Colonels played, they thoroughly outplayed the Kentucky State Thorobreds, 97-66. With 18 points on 6-for-11 shooting, Dedric Boyd was Eastern Kentuckys leading scorer. Eastern Kentucky played a perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.313 and a turnover percentage of 10.2. Kentucky State was 0.119 and 17.7, respectively, for those same stats.
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Eastern Kentucky. Dating back to last season, Eastern Kentucky ranks 235th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.4 percent), while the gambling defense of Prairie View A&M has forced the 25th-most turnovers in the nation (22.1 percent).
The Panthers have had a mediocre 13-23 straight up (SU) record since last season, but have had a difficult time covering the spread (1-4 against the spread (ATS)). Vegas has had a tendency to set the total low when Prairie View A&M is involved since last season as 75.0 percent of their games have ended over the projected point total.
The Colonels, on the other hand, have records of 14-20 SU and 15-14 ATS since last season. Vegas has had a tendency to set the total high when Eastern Kentucky has been involved over that same period as 62.1 percent of their games have ended under the O/U total.
Prairie View A&M Panthers vs. Eastern Kentucky Colonels Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Eastern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Eastern Kentucky, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Panthers rank 39th in three pointers allowed per game (18.8) while the Colonels rank 140th (20.8).
- Prairie View A&M ranks 299th in rebounds per game (31.3) while Eastern Kentucky ranks 242nd in rebounds allowed per game (37.2).
- Prairie View A&M averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 17th in the nation. Eastern Kentucky ranks 251st in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Colonels average 3.7 blocks per game, which ranks 107th in the NCAA. The Panthers rank 233rd in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Eastern Kentucky ranks 150th in assists per game (13.8) while Prairie View A&M ranks 262nd (11.9).