The Portland Trail Blazers (10-16) will travel to Talking Stick Resort Arena to square off with the Phoenix Suns (11-14). The game starts at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, December 16, 2019, and will air on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Portland Trail Blazers at Phoenix Suns Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last game. The Suns (2-point underdogs) were defeated by the San Antonio Spurs, 121-119, while the Trail Blazers (8-point underdogs) fell to the Denver Nuggets, 114-99. The Phoenix game finished 20.5 points over the projected point total of 219.5, while the Portland game went 3.5 points under the projected point total of 216.5.
Portland had a better turnover percentage (8.1 vs. 9.4) while Phoenix held San Antonio to an effective field goal percentage of 0.453 (below their season average of 0.515). Ricky Rubio had a solid performance for Phoenix, finishing with 25 points and 13 assists. Meanwhile, Hassan Whiteside was a key piece for Portland with 33 points and 11 rebounds.
The Trail Blazers dominated this series last year, taking all three contests. In the most recent contest, Portland won 127-120. One of Portland’s largest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They had 36 free throw attempts, while Phoenix had 29. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Vegas has been spot on when setting the O/U total of Trail Blazers games, with an even split between overs and unders. Portland holds records of 10-16 straight up (SU) and 11-14-1 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas is known to place the total low when the Suns are involved, as 15 of their 26 games have ended over the O/U total. Additionally, Phoenix owns records of 11-14 SU and 14-10-1 ATS.
The Trail Blazers’ Whiteside has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 18 points,12.8 rebounds,3.0 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Rubio has averaged 13 points,11.8 assists,1.2 steals during that same time frame for the Suns.
Phoenix should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Phoenix ranks fifth in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.8 percent), while Portland forces the third-fewest turnovers (12.4 percent).
Portland Trail Blazers at Phoenix Suns ATS Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Suns rank 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.7) while the Trail Blazers rank last (16.0).
- Phoenix ranks first in assists per game (28.4) while Portland ranks 29th (20.2).
- The Suns rank seventh in points in the paint per game (48.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 28th (43.4).
- Portland ranks eighth in rebounds per game (46.3) while Phoenix ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (46.6).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (31.6) while Portland ranks 18th (34.1).
- The Suns rank third in points off turnovers per game (20.0) while the Trail Blazers rank last (13.4).
- The Suns rank 17th in steals per game (7.6) while the Trail Blazers rank last (6.0).
- Phoenix ranks ninth in fast break points per game (14.4) while Portland ranks 15th in fast break points allowed per game (13.3).
- Portland ranks third in blocks per game (6.2) while Phoenix ranks 28th (4.0).
- Portland is 3-0 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Phoenix is 2-2.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 10-12 and the Suns are 11-12.
- Phoenix is 7-7-1 ATS at home, while Portland is 7-7-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Suns’ 15 home games, while 8 of the Trail Blazers’ 15 road games have gone under.
- The Suns are 3-1-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Phoenix has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Portland has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, up from 1.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 110.0 points per game (2.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.2 points per game (2.1 below their season average).