The Memphis Grizzlies (7-8) will be at home in FedExForum when they take on the Portland Trail Blazers (9-7). Portland opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 194 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, November 20, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Portland Trail Blazers at Memphis Grizzlies Free Preview
The Trail Blazers beat the Sacramento Kings in their last game, 102-90. C.J. McCollum was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Trail Blazers knocked down 16 of their 21 free throws (76.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.614 (above their season average of 0.491).
The last time the Grizzlies played, they were defeated by the Houston Rockets, 105-83. With 15 points and nine rebounds, Marc Gasol played well for Memphis. Houston made 18 of their 43 three pointers (41.9 percent). Memphis, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (11.3 vs. 15.5).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NBAs slowest-paced teams square off. Memphis currently ranks 29th in possessions per game (96.6) and Portland is 21st (98.7).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish under the O/U total. Portland games have finished under 75.0 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of games including Memphis have gone under. The Trail Blazers have the superior straight up (SU) record (9-7 vs. 7-8), but the Grizzlies hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (6-9 vs. 5-8-3).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 195 points, which was under the projected point total of 201. The Grizzlies won 98-97, but were unable to cover as 3-point favorites. The Grizzlies played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.288 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.527. The Trail Blazers were 0.235 and 0.481, respectively, for those same stats. McCollum scored a game-high 36 points.
Portland Trail Blazers at Memphis Grizzlies Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank second in three pointers allowed per game (25.0) while the Grizzlies rank 19th (30.1).
- Memphis ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.1) while Portland ranks ninth (16.0).
- Memphis ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Portland ranks 13th (8.0).
- Portland is 2-2-1 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 3-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 6 of the Grizzlies 8 home games, while 3 of the Trail Blazers 5 road games have gone under.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Portland is 7-3 and Memphis is 5-0.
- The Grizzlies are 4-3 when they score over 100 points, while the Trail Blazers are 7-3.
- The Trail Blazers rank 18th in second chance points per game (12.1) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (9.1).
- Memphis ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.7) while Portland ranks 28th (4.3).
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in rebounds per game (46.9) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (40.5).
- The Grizzlies rank 22nd in assists per game (20.3) while the Trail Blazers rank 27th (18.6).
- Memphis averages 5.7 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Portland ranks 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.9).
- Memphis is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 1-2-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.2, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 95.8 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 90.6 points per game (6.9 below their season average).