The Chicago Bulls (13-23) look to continue a seven-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the Portland Trail Blazers (18-17) at United Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018, and it can be seen on WGN Channel 9.
Portland Trail Blazers at Chicago Bulls ATS Preview
The Trail Blazers lost to the Atlanta Hawks in their last contest, 104-89. Portland’s Shabazz Napier had a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Atlanta forced the Trail Blazers into a turnover percentage of 18.1 (above their season average of 12.8). Portland, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.9 (above their season average of 22.6).
The last time the Bulls played, they were topped by the Washington Wizards, 114-110. With 19 points, 11 assists and seven rebounds, Chicago’s Kris Dunn had a solid game. Washington had a turnover percentage of 9.1 (better than their season average of 12.1). Chicago, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (18-22; 81.8 percent).
The ineffective offense of Chicago will clash against the top-notch defense of Portland. The Bulls currently rank 29th in offensive efficiency, while the Trail Blazers are third in defensive efficiency. The Trail Blazers figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Portland’s 35 games, 25 have finished under the projected point total, while 18 of Chicago’s 35 games have finished over the O/U total. The Trail Blazers hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (18-17 vs. 13-23), but the Bulls have been better against the spread (ATS) (20-12-3 vs. 16-16-3).
Napier has been impressive over the last five games for Portland, averaging 17.4 points and 2.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Trail Blazers won the last contest 112-110. Portland had a better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 13.1). Chicago, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (33-38; 86.8 percent).
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Chicago Bulls Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank sixth in rebounds per game (44.9) while the Bulls rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (45.4).
- Portland ranks 26th in points off turnovers per game (14.7) while Chicago ranks 29th (14.1).
- Portland ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.3) while Chicago ranks 19th (11.4).
- Portland is 11-5-1 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 10-5-2 ATS at home.
- Of the Trail Blazers 17 road games, they have 12 unders and 5 overs.
- Of the Bulls 17 home games, they have 11 unders and 6 overs.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Chicago is 5-5 and Portland is 13-4.
- The Bulls are 11-8 when they reach the century mark, while the Trail Blazers are 13-7.
- The Bulls rank 23rd in steals per game (7.1) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (6.7).
- Portland ranks first in assists allowed per game (18.9) while Chicago ranks 27th (24.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank fifth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Bulls rank 27th (3.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank 24th in points in the paint per game (40.9) while the Bulls rank 26th (40.1).
- Portland ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (25.3) while Chicago ranks 21st (29.9).
- Chicago is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Portland is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Bulls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 5.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 94.8 points per game (6.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 100.2 points per game (0.5 below their season average).