The Portland Trail Blazers (29-19), 5-point underdogs, will be at Chesapeake Energy Arena to meet the Oklahoma City Thunder (28-18) in a Northwest Division matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 228 points and it can be seen on NBATV at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
Portland Trail Blazers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Odds
Both teams covered in their last matchup. The Thunder (3.5-point underdogs) defeated the New York Knicks 127-109, while the Trail Blazers (3-point underdog) beat the Utah Jazz 109-104. The Oklahoma City game hit the projected point total of 236, while the Portland game finished 22.5 points under the projected point total of 235.5.
The Trail Blazers forced 15 turnovers and held the Jazz to an effective field goal percentage of 0.434 (below their season average of 0.529). The Thunder, on the other hand, had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 26.4) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.633 (above their season average of 0.509). Oklahoma City was lifted by Paul George, who put up 31 points. Damian Lillard, meanwhile fueled Portland with 26 points, eight rebounds and eight assists.
In their first matchup this season, Russell Westbrook led the Thunder to a 111-109 win. He produced 31 points, nine rebounds and seven assists. The two teams combined to score 220 points, which was just under the projected point total of 223.5, and Oklahoma City covered as a 1-point underdog. Oklahoma City did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (23-26; 88.5 percent). Portland, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.479 vs. 0.468).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Trail Blazers games, with 25 unders compared to 22 overs. Portland holds records of 29-19 straight up (SU) and 25-22 against the spread (ATS).
Just over half of Thunder games have also finished under the total. Further, Oklahoma City is 28-18 SU and 24-21 ATS.
The Trail Blazers’ Jake Layman has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 15 points per game. Meanwhile, Jerami Grant has averaged 16 points,6.6 rebounds,2.4 blocks during that same time frame for the Thunder.
It will be a showdown of conflicting styles as the up-and-down Thunder (ranked second in the league in possessions per game) will look to push the more half-court-oriented Trail Blazers (18th in possessions per game).
Portland Trail Blazers at Oklahoma City Thunder Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank 22nd in assists per game (22.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (22.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (10.3) while Portland ranks 28th (6.5).
- The Thunder rank fifth in fast break points per game (17.9) while the Trail Blazers rank 23rd (10.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in points in the paint per game (52.8) while Portland ranks 19th (47.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks 12th in blocks per game (5.3) while Portland ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- The Thunder rank second in points off turnovers per game (20.7) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (14.0).
- The Trail Blazers average 48.0 rebounds per game, which ranks third in the league. The Thunder rank 18th in rebounds allowed per game (45.2).
- Oklahoma City averages 15.2 second chance points per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Portland ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Oklahoma City is 6-0 and Portland is 8-1.
- The Trail Blazers are 28-14 when they reach 100 points, while the Thunder are 26-12.
- Portland is 8-12 ATS on the road, while Oklahoma City is 11-10 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Trail Blazers’ 20 road games, while 13 of the Thunder’s 21 home games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Portland and Oklahoma City have both had 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Trail Blazers are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Thunder are 2-3.
- During their last five games, the Trail Blazers have scored an average of 117.2 points per game (4.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (1.9 above their season average).
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 4.8 for the season.