The Pepperdine Waves (4-25, 1-16 WCC) and Portland Pilots (10-20, 4-13 WCC) will square off at Firestone Fieldhouse to bring the regular season to an end. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Portland Pilots vs. Pepperdine Waves Free Preview
In the Pilots last contest, they were beaten by the BYU Cougars, 72-60. Portland’s Marcus Shaver Jr. put together a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting. BYU held the Pilots to an offensive rebounding percentage of 3.2 (below their season average of 20.8). Portland, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (10-12; 83.3 percent).
The Waves are hoping for a better outcome after their 75-61 loss to the No. 22 Saint Mary’s Gaels in their last outing. Trae Berhow led Pepperdine in scoring with 13 points on 5-for-6 shooting. Saint Mary’s had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 28.3). Pepperdine, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (14-16; 87.5 percent).
Portland could struggle to create turnovers. Pepperdine ranks 87th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.4 percent), while Portland forces the 33rd-fewest turnovers (16.1 percent).
Shaver Jr. has been on fire over the last five games for Portland, averaging 14.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Pilots won 85-76. Portland had a better effective field goal percentage (0.560 vs. 0.467). Pepperdine, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 vs. 18.8). Tahirou Diabate was the games top overall scorer with 19 points.
Portland Pilots vs. Pepperdine Waves Free Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Portland, ATS Winner – Portland, O/U – Under
- The Pilots rank 195th in three pointers attempted per game (20.8) while the Waves rank 284th (17.0).
- Portland ranks 30th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Pepperdine ranks 65th (5.7).
- Pepperdine ranks 69th in rebounds allowed per game (32.8) while Portland ranks 240th (37.2).
- The Pilots rank 38th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Waves rank 169th (4.2).
- Pepperdine ranks 128th in assists per game (14.0) while Portland ranks 231st (11.9).
- The Waves average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, down from 8.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pilots have scored an average of 62.8 points per game (6.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (3.8 below their season average).