The No. 9 North Carolina Tar Heels (3-0) and the Portland Pilots (2-1) clash in the Phil Knight Invitational – Victory at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Tip-off is set for 2:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 23, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Portland Pilots vs. North Carolina Tar Heels Betting Preview
The last time the Pilots played, they had no trouble getting past the Oregon Tech Hustlin Owls, 86-59. Josh McSwiggan was the top scorer from either team with 16 points on 4-for-11 shooting. The Pilots had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.558 vs. 0.294) and had a better free throw rate (0.317 vs. 0.279).
The Tar Heels will look to keep it rolling after blowing out the Stanford Cardinal in their last outing, 96-72. North Carolina was lifted by Joel Berry II, who was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 10-for-19 shooting. North Carolina played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 and a turnover percentage of 15.0. Stanford put up marks of 17.9 and 21.8, respectively, for those same stats.
North Carolina should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Dating back to the 2016-17 season, North Carolina ranks 29th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.3 percent), while Portland has forced the 56th-fewest turnovers (17.2 percent). Additionally, the Pilots 266th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 101.1) will go head-to-head against the Tar Heels 54th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 98.0).
Portland Pilots vs. North Carolina Tar Heels ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Portland, ATS Winner – Portland, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Pilots rank 110th in blocks per game (3.7) while the Tar Heels rank 245th in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- North Carolina averages 20.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 212th in the NCAA. Portland ranks 298th in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- North Carolina ranks third in assists per game (18.1) while Portland ranks 307th (10.4).
- The Tar Heels rank first in rebounds per game (43.6) while the Pilots rank 252nd (34.1).
- North Carolina ranks 73rd in steals per game (7.0) while Portland ranks 256th (5.1).