The 15th-ranked North Carolina State Wolfpack (13-2, 1-1 ACC) and their phenomenal offense host the Pittsburgh Panthers (11-4, 1-1 ACC) and their tremendous defense. The game can be seen on ACC Network at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Pittsburgh Panthers at North Carolina State Wolfpack Betting Odds
In their last game, the Wolfpack were beaten by the 12th-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels, 90-82, while the Panthers barely escaped the Louisville Cardinals, 89-86.
Pittsburgh played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.7 (better than their season average of 17.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.598 (above their season average of 0.509). For those same stats, Louisville put up marks of 18.7 and 0.507, respectively. North Carolina State, meanwhile, forced North Carolina into a turnover percentage of 23.4 (above their season average of 15.1). North Carolina State’s Torin Dorn had a good game, recording 12 points and 10 rebounds. Trey McGowens, meanwhile fueled Pittsburgh with 33 points and six rebounds.
The Wolfpack won the lone game between these two teams last year, 72-68. North Carolina State out-rebounded Pittsburgh. The Wolfpack had 17 offensive rebounds and 42 total rebounds, while the Panthers had six and 34, respectively. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the prolific offense of North Carolina State (seventh in the country with an offensive efficiency of 119.7) takes on the elite defense of Pittsburgh (15th in the country with a defensive efficiency of 89.9). Moreover, the Panthers, who rank 13th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.311), could earn plenty of trips to the line against the Wolfpack, who rank 256th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.253).
Pittsburgh at North Carolina State Free Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – North Carolina State, ATS Winner – Pittsburgh, O/U – Over
- North Carolina State ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.1) while Pittsburgh ranks 188th (37.0).
- The Wolfpack average 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 59th in the country. The Panthers rank 148th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- North Carolina State averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 41st in the country. Pittsburgh ranks 117th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- The Wolfpack rank 49th in three pointers allowed per game (20.0) while the Panthers rank 176th (23.8).
- North Carolina State ranks 11th in assists per game (18.0) while Pittsburgh ranks 129th (13.5).
- The Panthers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.8, up from 11.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolfpack have scored an average of 88.4 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.6 points per game (8.0 above their season average).