The Phoenix Suns (2-10) visit Chesapeake Energy Arena to take on the Oklahoma City Thunder (7-5). The Suns will attempt to put an end to a five-game road losing streak. The game can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, November 12, 2018.
Phoenix Suns at Oklahoma City Thunder Betting Odds
Both teams did not cover as underdogs in their last game. The Thunder (1.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Dallas Mavericks, 111-96, while the Suns (9-point underdogs) fell to the New Orleans Pelicans, 119-99. The Oklahoma City game went 6.5 points under the projected point total of 213.5, while the Phoenix game went 10.5 points under the projected point total of 228.5.
Phoenix forced New Orleans into a turnover percentage of 15.4 (above the 11.6 mark opponents have averaged against Phoenix this season) while Oklahoma City had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.3 (above their season average of 26.0). Oklahoma City’s Paul George played well, contributing 20 points, 13 rebounds and six assists. Meanwhile, Deandre Ayton was a key piece for Phoenix with 20 points and 12 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Nerlens Noel led the Thunder to a 117-110 victory. He recorded a double-double with 20 points and 15 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 227 points, which was over the projected point total of 219, and Oklahoma City was unable to cover as a 14-point favorite. The Thunder’s turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Suns. Oklahoma City had a rate of 13.0, while Phoenix posted a mark of 18.4.
Vegas tends to set the total high when the Suns are involved, as 58.3 percent of their games have ended under the projected point total. Phoenix heads into the contest with records of 2-10 straight up (SU) and 5-7 against the spread (ATS).
Coinciding with Phoenix, Thunder games also have typically finished under the projected point total (58.3 percent). Moreover, Oklahoma City owns records of 7-5 SU and 7-5 ATS.
Dennis Schroder and Jerami Grant have played at a high level over the last five games for Oklahoma City. Schroder has averaged 20.2 points, 3.4 assists and 1.2 steals, while Grant has put up 13.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.2 steals a game during that span.
Oklahoma City should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Thunder rank eighth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.509), while Phoenix is 21st in effective field goal percentage (0.506). It could also be an error-filled game for the offense of the Suns, which ranks 30th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 17.5 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Thunder, which forces the second-most turnovers in the league (17.2 percent).
Phoenix Suns vs. Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Under
- The Suns rank 17th in assists per game (23.2) while the Thunder rank 26th (20.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in second chance points per game (17.0) while Phoenix ranks 29th (9.8).
- The Thunder rank eighth in points in the paint per game (50.7) while the Suns rank 29th in points allowed in the paint per game (55.8).
- Oklahoma City puts up 14.8 fast-break points per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 29th in fast-break points allowed per game (20.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks 13th in blocks per game (5.5) while Phoenix ranks 25th (3.4).
- The Thunder average 11.4 steals per game, which ranks first in the league. The Suns rank 28th in steals allowed per game (10.4).
- The Thunder rank eighth in rebounds per game (47.2) while the Suns rank 26th (41.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in points off turnovers per game (22.2) while Phoenix ranks 27th (14.3).
- Oklahoma City is 2-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Thunder are 5-2 and the Suns are 2-4.
- Oklahoma City is 3-3 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 1-4 ATS on the road.
- Of the Suns’ 5 road games, they have 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Of the Thunder’s 6 home games, they have 4 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Oklahoma City has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Phoenix has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 2.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 98.0 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (5.2 below their season average).