The New Orleans Pelicans (6-15) welcome the Phoenix Suns (9-11) to Smoothie King Center. The Pelicans are 2.5-point favorites and will attempt to put an end to their six-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 232 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 5, 2019.
Phoenix Suns at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last contest. The Suns (4-point favorites) were defeated by the Orlando Magic, 128-114, while the Pelicans (4.5-point underdogs) fell to the Dallas Mavericks, 118-97. The Phoenix game went 20 points over the projected point total of 222, while the New Orleans game went 18.5 points under the projected point total of 233.5.
Phoenix forced Orlando into a turnover percentage of 16.8 (above their season average of 11.6) while New Orleans had a better turnover percentage (9.9 vs. 9.1). New Orleans received a boost from Brandon Ingram, who had 24 points, six assists and five rebounds. Meanwhile, Frank Kaminsky played a key role for Phoenix with 23 points and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Ingram led the Pelicans to a 124-121 win. He scored a game-high 28 points. The two teams combined for 245 points, which was over the projected point total of 234.5, and New Orleans covered as a 4-point underdog. New Orleans’ effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Phoenix. The Pelicans had a rate of 0.625 while the Suns posted a mark of 0.541.
Suns games have a tendency to finish over the total (57.9 percent). Phoenix holds records of 9-11 straight up (SU) and 11-8 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Phoenix, a little over half of Pelicans games have finished under the total. Further, New Orleans owns records of 6-15 SU and 8-12-1 ATS.
The Suns’ Dario Saric has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 13 points,10.6 rebounds,1.2 blocks per game. Meanwhile, JJ Redick has averaged 16 points during that same time frame for the Pelicans.
It could be an error-filled game for the New Orleans offense. New Orleans ranks 20th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.5 percent), while the disruptive defense of Phoenix forces the second-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent). Additionally, the Suns are among the league’s best at getting to the line, ranking fifth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.224). The Pelicans, meanhwile, rank 26th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents’ FTA rate of 0.230.
Phoenix Suns vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank 17th in blocks per game (4.9) while the Suns rank 27th (3.9).
- Phoenix ranks second in points off turnovers per game (19.6) while New Orleans ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.3).
- The Suns rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (31.7) while the Pelicans rank 22nd (34.8).
- New Orleans ranks 17th in rebounds per game (45.0) while Phoenix ranks last (41.5).
- Phoenix ranks 17th in second chance points allowed per game (13.3) while New Orleans ranks 28th (14.8).
- The Suns average 28.1 assists per game, which ranks second in the league. The Pelicans rank 24th in assists allowed per game (25.2).
- The Suns average 47.8 points in the paint per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Pelicans rank 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (51.5).
- Phoenix ranks sixth in fast break points allowed per game (12.2) while New Orleans ranks 27th (15.8).
- Phoenix is 2-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points.
- The Suns are 9-9 when they reach 100 points, while the Pelicans are 6-13.
- Phoenix is 5-2 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 5-6 ATS at home.
- The Suns have 5 unders and 2 overs in 7 road games.
- The Pelicans have 7 unders and 4 overs in 11 home games.
- The Pelicans are 1-3-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 2-3.
- In their last five games, New Orleans has 4 unders and 1 over, while Phoenix has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pelicans’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.6, up from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (matching their season average) and allowed an average of 121.6 points per game (8.3 above their season average).