The Phoenix Suns (5-10) travel to Los Angeles to take on the Lakers (6-9) in what should be a fast-paced game. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 225.5 points with Los Angeles set as a 6.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 17, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Preview
The last time the Lakers played, they were beaten by the Philadelphia 76ers, 115-109. Brandon Ingram was Los Angeles high scorer with 26 points on 11-for-18 shooting. Philadelphia did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (24-30; 80.0 percent). Los Angeles, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 15.3).
The last time the Suns played it was against the Lakers. The two teams combined for 193 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 230.5. The Lakers won 100-93, covering as 1-point favorites. The Lakers have now emerged victorious in both games against the Suns this year. Los Angeles launched 33 three pointers, making 14 of them (42.4 percent), while Phoenix was 7-26 (26.9 percent). Booker scored a game-high 36 points.
There should be a fair amount of transition action in this showdown that showcases two of the leagues more up-tempo teams. Los Angeles currently ranks second in possessions per game (105.9) and Phoenix is third (105.3). Also, the Suns 25th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 100.7) will go head-to-head against the Lakers fourth-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 101.1).
Of Phoenixs 15 games, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Los Angeles 15 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Lakers have a sizable advantage. They are 6-9 SU and 7-8 ATS, while the Suns are 5-10 SU and 6-9 ATS.
T.J. Warren has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Phoenix, averaging 21.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.
Phoenix Suns at Los Angeles Lakers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The Suns average 5.5 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The Lakers rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.5).
- Phoenix ranks 20th in points off turnovers per game (15.9) while Los Angeles ranks 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (20.4).
- Los Angeles ranks 16th in steals per game (8.0) while Phoenix ranks 26th (6.9).
- Phoenix ranks 13th in second chance points per game (12.7) while Los Angeles ranks 14th in second chance points allowed per game (12.1).
- Los Angeles is 4-4 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 3-3 ATS on the road.
- Of the Suns 6 road games, they have 4 overs and 2 unders.
- The Lakers have 4 overs and 4 unders in 8 home games.
- Los Angeles is 3-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Phoenix is 1-1.
- When reaching 100 points, the Suns are 4-5 and the Lakers are 6-3.
- The Lakers rank 18th in assists per game (21.3) while the Suns rank 28th (17.9).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds per game (47.5) while Phoenix ranks 28th in rebounds allowed per game (47.3).
- The Lakers average 14.1 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. The Suns rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9).
- The Suns rank 19th in three pointers attempted per game (25.7) while the Lakers rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.4).
- Los Angeles averages 54.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (49.6).
- Los Angeles is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.8, up from 2.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 106.0 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.4 points per game (2.7 below their season average).