The Charlotte Hornets (28-38), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Phoenix Suns (19-48) to Spectrum Center. Action gets underway at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 10, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Phoenix Suns vs. Charlotte Hornets Betting Preview
The last time the Suns played, they were blown out by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 115-87. With 30 points on 10-for-22 shooting, Devin Booker was the top scorer from either team. Oklahoma City had an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.512). Phoenix, meanwhile, forced the Thunder into a turnover percentage of 16.4 (above their season average of 12.1).
The Hornets are hoping for a better outcome after their 125-111 loss to the Brooklyn Nets in their last outing. With 19 points and seven rebounds, Dwight Howard played well for Charlotte. Brooklyn held the Hornets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.0 (below their season average of 22.4). Charlotte, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (25-30; 83.3 percent).
Charlotte should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Charlotte ranks second in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while Phoenix forces the third-fewest turnovers (12.7 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 225 points, just over the projected point total of 220. The Hornets won 115-110, but were unable to cover as 6.5-point favorites. The Hornets dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.0 and a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 6.9. The Suns were 6.3 and 18.7, respectively, for those same stats. Howard put up a double-double in the victory with 18 points and 14 rebounds.
Phoenix Suns vs. Charlotte Hornets Prediction
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank sixth in rebounds per game (45.0) while the Suns rank 29th in rebounds allowed per game (45.8).
- Charlotte averages 4.6 blocks per game, which ranks 20th in the league. Phoenix ranks last in blocks allowed per game (5.8).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (10.1) while Phoenix ranks 22nd (13.2).
- Phoenix is 18-15-1 ATS on the road, while Charlotte is 16-18-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 18 of the Hornets 35 home games, while 17 of the Suns’ 34 road games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Charlotte is 10-3 and Phoenix is 6-2.
- The Suns are 15-29 when they reach 100 points, while the Hornets are 27-17.
- The Hornets rank 15th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.5) while the Suns rank 26th (47.5).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while Phoenix ranks 27th (18.8).
- The Hornets rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (10.0) while the Suns rank 29th (14.8).
- The Hornets are 26th in the league with 21.3 assists per game while the Suns are 28th with 21.1 assists per game.
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.4) while Phoenix ranks 26th (8.5).
- Charlotte is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.4, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 105.6 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.8 points per game (2.4 above their season average).