Pacific Division foes will battle when the Los Angeles Clippers (11-18) take on the Phoenix Suns (11-21) at Staples Center. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 20, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Clippers Betting Preview
The Suns defeated the Dallas Mavericks in their last contest, 97-91. With 14 points and 14 rebounds, Phoenix’s Alex Len had a solid game. Phoenix played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.506 (above their season average of 0.494) and a free throw rate of 0.215 (below their season average of 0.224). Dallas was 0.426 and 0.182, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Clippers last matchup, they were beaten by the San Antonio Spurs, 109-91. With 13 points and 14 rebounds, Los Angeles DeAndre Jordan played well. San Antonio was successful at getting and making free throws. The Spurs made 20 of their 25 free throws (80.0 percent), while the Clippers were just 8-16 (50.0 percent).
Los Angeles appears to have an edge on the offensive glass in this battle. The Clippers rank eighth in offensive rebounding percentage (24.2 percent), while Phoenix ranks 24th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.7 percent). Additionally, the Suns are among the NBA’s elite at getting to the line, ranking fourth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.224). The Clippers, meanhwile, rank 24th in opponents FTA rate (0.217).
Of Phoenix’s 32 games, 17 have finished over the projected point total, while 15 of Los Angeles 29 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Suns are 11-21 SU and 16-15-1 ATS, while the Clippers are 11-18 SU and 14-15 ATS.
Jordan has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Los Angeles, averaging 18.0 rebounds, 12.0 points, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 218 points, just under the projected point total of 220. The Clippers won 130-88, covering as 14-point favorites. The Clippers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.8 and a turnover percentage of 10.6. The Suns put up marks of 8.7 and 17.8, respectively, for those same stats. Blake Griffin was the games top overall scorer with 29 points.
Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Clippers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Suns rank fourth in rebounds per game (45.9) while the Clippers rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (43.8).
- Los Angeles ranks 15th in points off turnovers per game (16.8) while Phoenix ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.0).
- Los Angeles averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 13th in the league. Phoenix ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (9.0).
- Phoenix is 10-5-1 ATS on the road, while Los Angeles is 6-7 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Clippers 13 home games, while 9 of the Suns 16 road games have gone over.
- Los Angeles is 7-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Phoenix is 3-2.
- The Clippers are 9-11 when they reach the century mark, while the Suns are 9-13.
- The Suns average 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the league. The Clippers rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Los Angeles averages 14.2 second chance points per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (14.3).
- The Clippers rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (40.7) while the Suns rank 27th (48.3).
- The Clippers are 27th in the NBA with 20.3 assists per game while the Suns are 28th with 20.0 assists per game.
- Phoenix ranks eighth in fast break points per game (13.4) while Los Angeles ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (12.9).
- Los Angeles is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- The Clippers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.2, up from 2.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (5.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 103.0 points per game (10.5 below their season average).