The San Antonio Spurs (5-4) will be at home in AT&T Center when they clash with the Phoenix Suns (4-5). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 215.5 points with San Antonio opening as a 10-point favorite. Action gets underway at at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 5, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns at San Antonio Spurs Betting Preview
In the Suns’ last outing, they fell to the New York Knicks, 120-107. With 34 points on 10-for-19 shooting, Devin Booker was Phoenix’s leading scorer. New York had an effective field goal percentage of 0.563 (above their season average of 0.498). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 8.1 (better than their season average of 14.7).
In the Spurs’ last matchup, they defeated the Charlotte Hornets, 108-101. San Antonio’s Rudy Gay played a key role with 20 points and seven rebounds. San Antonio’s 0.524 effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Charlotte, who had a mark of 0.463. The Spurs’ mark was above their season average of 0.464, while the Hornets’ was below the 0.529 mark opponents have averaged against San Antonio this season.
The offensive glass could be a huge advantage for San Antonio in this showdown. The Spurs rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.0 percent), while Phoenix ranks 22nd in defensive rebounding percentage (76.5 percent) since the 2016-17 season.
Games including Phoenix have gone over 66.7 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of San Antonio’s games have gone under. The Spurs hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (5-4 vs. 4-5), but the Suns have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (5-4 vs. 4-4-1).
The Spurs won two out of three games against the Suns last season. In the most recent matchup, the Spurs won 107-92. The Spurs dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.324 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3. For those same stats, the Suns put up marks of 0.165 and 21.2, respectively.
Phoenix Suns vs. San Antonio Spurs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Spurs average 44.2 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the league. The Suns rank 21st in rebounds allowed per game (44.3).
- San Antonio ranks 15th in points off turnovers per game (17.4) while Phoenix ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.3).
- Phoenix averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 10th in the league. San Antonio ranks 23rd in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Neither of these teams shoot many threes. Phoenix is 27th in the league with 22.9 three pointers per game while San Antonio is 29th with 23.5 threes per game.
- Phoenix is 9-3 when they allow below 100 points, while San Antonio is 47-7.
- The Spurs are 63-13 when they score more than 100 points, while the Suns are 24-46.
- The Spurs rank 16th in assists per game (23.3) while the Suns rank 27th (19.4).
- Phoenix ranks second in fast break points per game (18.5) while San Antonio ranks 26th (12.0).
- The Spurs rank first in second chance points allowed per game (11.8) while the Suns rank 23rd (13.5).
- The Suns rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.3) while the Spurs rank 14th (41.0).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks per game (5.8) while Phoenix ranks 23rd in blocks allowed per game (5.3).