The Phoenix Suns (16-24) will travel to Madison Square Garden to take on the New York Knicks (11-30). Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 16, 2020, and can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns vs. New York Knicks ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last matchup. The Suns (2-point favorites) were defeated by the Atlanta Hawks, 123-110, while the Knicks (16.5-point underdogs) fell to the Milwaukee Bucks, 128-102. The Phoenix game finished 1.5 points over the projected point total of 231.5, while the New York game went 1 point under the projected point total of 231.
Phoenix did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (26-32; 81.3 percent) while New York had a better turnover percentage (8.8 vs. 11.8). Julius Randle had a good game for New York with 25 points and 15 rebounds. Devin Booker, meanwhile had a good outing for Phoenix, recording 39 points and seven rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Booker led the Suns to a 120-112 victory. He was the game’s leading scorer with 38 points. The two teams combined to put up 232 points, which was over the projected point total of 223.5, and Phoenix covered as a 7-point favorite. The Suns’ turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Knicks. Phoenix had a rate of 8.7, while New York posted a mark of 12.5.
Suns games tend to go over the O/U total (55.0 percent). Phoenix holds records of 16-24 straight up (SU) and 20-19-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Phoenix, games featuring the Knicks have typically finished under the total (56.1 percent). Moreover, New York owns records of 11-30 SU and 19-21-1 ATS.
The aggressive Phoenix offense could be living from the charity stripe in this contest. The Suns rank fifth in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.217, while New York is among the league’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 26th-ranked FTA rate of 0.222).
Suns at Knicks Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank 22nd in blocks per game (4.5) while the Suns rank 29th (3.8).
- Phoenix ranks second in assists per game (27.6) while New York ranks 29th (21.2).
- The Knicks rank fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (43.3) while the Suns rank 22nd (49.7).
- Phoenix ranks eighth in fast break points per game (14.6) while New York ranks 26th (10.3).
- Phoenix ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while New York ranks 15th (16.7).
- The Suns rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (32.1) while the Knicks rank 26th (35.4).
- The Knicks rank second in steals allowed per game (6.7) while the Suns rank 15th (7.6).
- New York ranks 10th in rebounds per game (46.1) while Phoenix ranks 11th in rebounds allowed per game (45.0).
- New York ranks fourth in second chance points per game (14.7) while Phoenix ranks 23rd (12.2).
- New York is 3-1 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Phoenix is 4-2.
- The Suns are 15-20 when they reach 100 points, while the Knicks are 10-20.
- New York is 8-10-1 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 10-7 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 12 of the Knicks’ 19 home games, while 9 of the Suns’ 17 road games have gone under.
- The Knicks are 1-4 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 0-5.
- In their last five games, New York has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Phoenix has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Knicks have scored an average of 105.6 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 123.4 points per game (10.2 above their season average).
- The Suns’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.8, up from 1.2 for the season.