The Phoenix Suns (17-24), 6.5-point underdogs, will travel to TD Garden to challenge the Boston Celtics (27-13). The game begins at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020.
Phoenix Suns at Boston Celtics Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last contest. The Suns (2-point favorites) defeated the New York Knicks, 121-98, while the Celtics (11-point underdogs) fell to the Milwaukee Bucks, 128-123. The Phoenix game went 9 points under the projected point total of 228, while the Boston game went 23 points over the projected point total of 228.
The Suns had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 31.8 (above their season average of 21.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.576 (above their season average of 0.526). Boston, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 6.0 (better than their season average of 11.8). Kemba Walker had a good outing for Boston, finishing with 40 points and 11 rebounds. Phoenix was led by Deandre Ayton, who contributed 26 points and 21 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Jayson Tatum led the Celtics to a 99-85 win. He registered a double-double with 26 points and 11 rebounds. Boston covered as a 3-point underdog and the two teams combined to put up 184 points, which was well under the projected point total of 226. The Celtics’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Suns. Boston had a rate of 22.9, while Phoenix posted a mark of 16.3.
Of the Suns’ 41 games, 22 have finished over the projected point total. Phoenix heads into the game with records of 17-24 straight up (SU) and 21-19-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Phoenix, games featuring the Celtics have a slight tendency to finish under the projected point total (52.5 percent). Additionally, Boston is 27-13 SU and 23-16-1 ATS.
The prolific offense of Boston (seventh in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 110.0) will battle against the mid-tier defense of Phoenix (17th in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 108.2). The Celtics should have the edge on that side of the ball.
Phoenix Suns vs. Boston Celtics Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- Boston ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.8) while Phoenix ranks 26th (3.8).
- The Suns rank third in fast break points allowed per game (11.7) while the Celtics rank 18th (13.2).
- Boston ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.8) while Phoenix ranks 16th (7.7).
- Phoenix averages 33.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Boston ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (33.6).
- The Celtics rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (43.0) while the Suns rank 22nd (49.7).
- The Suns rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Celtics rank 10th (17.6).
- Phoenix ranks second in assists per game (27.7) while Boston ranks 19th (23.0).
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Phoenix is 5-2 and Boston is 9-2.
- The Suns are 16-20 when they reach 100 points, while the Celtics are 26-7.
- Phoenix is 11-7 ATS on the road, while Boston is 11-9 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Celtics’ 20 home games, while 10 of the Suns’ 18 road games have gone under.
- The Celtics are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Boston has 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push, while Phoenix has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 115.4 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (6.6 above their season average).
- The Suns have outscored opponents by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Phoenix has been defeated by an average of 0.6 points.