It figures to be a low-scoring affair as the Philadelphia 76ers (29-16), 5.5-point underdogs, visit Toronto to play the Raptors (29-14). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 218 points and it can be seen on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Toronto Raptors Betting Odds
In the 76ers’ last game, they were victorious over the Brooklyn Nets, 117-111, covering as 2-point favorites. The Raptors, meanwhile, topped the Atlanta Hawks,122-117, but failed to cover as 8.5-point favorites. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Philadelphia game went 10 points over the projected point total of 218, while the Toronto game went 7.5 points over the projected point total of 231.5.
Philadelphia’s turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Brooklyn. The 76ers had a rate of 10.2 (better than their season average of 12.5), while the Nets posted a mark of 18.7 (above their season average of 13.1). The Raptors, meanwhile, forced 23 turnovers and had a free throw rate of 0.359 (above their season average of 0.199). Toronto’s Fred VanVleet played well, contributing 20 points. Ben Simmons led the way for Philadelphia with 34 points, 12 rebounds and 12 assists to record his third triple-double of the season.
The 76ers won the most recent matchup by six points to even the season series at one. OG Anunoby had a double-double in the loss, with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Philadelphia made 14 of its 32 three pointers (43.8 percent). Toronto, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.7 vs. 17.1). The two teams combined for 214 points, which was just under the projected point total of 214.5, and Philadelphia covered as a 3-point favorite.
Of the 76ers’ 45 games, 22 have finished over the total. Philadelphia comes into the game with records of 29-16 straight up (SU) and 21-21-3 against the spread (ATS).
Similarly to Philadelphia, a little over half of Raptors games have finished over the O/U total. Moreover, Toronto owns records of 29-14 SU and 23-19-1 ATS.
The 76ers’ Simmons has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 19 points,8.6 rebounds,8.0 assists,1.8 steals per game. Meanwhile, Norman Powell has averaged 20 points,1.2 steals during that same time frame for the Raptors.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this matchup between two of the NBA’s premier defenses. Toronto currently ranks second in defensive efficiency (102.3) and Philadelphia is fourth (103.7).
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Toronto Raptors Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The Raptors rank second in steals per game (8.7) while the 76ers rank 11th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Philadelphia ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (27.8) while Toronto ranks 29th (38.3).
- The 76ers rank second in assists allowed per game (21.7) while the Raptors rank 25th (25.3).
- Philadelphia ranks second in blocks allowed per game (4.0) while Toronto ranks 23rd (5.5).
- Toronto averages 17.8 fast break points per game, which ranks third in the league. Philadelphia ranks 14th in fast break points allowed per game (13.0).
- The 76ers rank first in rebounds allowed per game (41.4) while the Raptors rank 26th (46.9).
- The Raptors rank second in points off turnovers per game (20.3) while the 76ers rank 21st (16.4).
- Toronto ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (42.7) while Philadelphia ranks 11th (46.8).
- Philadelphia ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (11.6) while Toronto ranks 25th (14.1).
- Toronto is 11-3 when they allow under 100 points, while Philadelphia is 13-1.
- The 76ers are 25-7 when they score above 100 points, while the Raptors are 27-9.
- Philadelphia is 9-13-1 ATS on the road, while Toronto is 12-10 ATS at home.
- In 23 road games, the 76ers have 11 overs, 11 unders and 1 push.
- Of the Raptors’ 22 home games, they have 13 overs and 9 unders.
- In their last five games, Philadelphia and Toronto are both 3-2 ATS.
- The 76ers have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Raptors have 4 overs and 1 under
- The 76ers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.0, up from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Raptors have scored an average of 123.6 points per game (11.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.2 points per game (7.0 above their season average).