The Minnesota Timberwolves (16-11) will be at home in Target Center when they challenge the Philadelphia 76ers (13-13). Action gets underway at 9:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 12, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Preview
In the 76ers last outing, they fell to the New Orleans Pelicans, 131-124. Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons put up 27 points, 10 assists and five rebounds in the game. New Orleans had an effective field goal percentage of 0.669 (above their season average of 0.545). Philadelphia, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 44.0 (above their season average of 26.5).
The Timberwolves come in on a high note after beating the Dallas Mavericks in their last contest, 97-92. Minnesota received a boost from Karl-Anthony Towns, who was the games high scorer with 28 points on 10-for-15 shooting. Minnesota dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.233) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below their season average of 25.6). Dallas was 0.086 and 14.3, respectively, for those same stats.
The physical Minnesota offense could be living from the free throw line in this matchup. The Timberwolves rank third in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.234, while Philadelphia ranks 28th in FTA rate allowed (0.236). Conflicting styles will be on display in this matchup. The up-tempo 76ers rank fourth in possessions per game, while the more methodical Timberwolves rank 24th.
Of Philadelphia’s 26 games, 13 have finished over the projected point total, while 13 of Minnesota’s 27 games have finished over the O/U total. The Timberwolves have the superior straight up (SU) record (16-11 vs. 13-13), but the 76ers hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (15-11 vs. 11-14-2).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the 76ers, it’s been J.J. Redick, who has averaged 18.8 points and 3.4 assists, while the Timberwolves have received great contributions from Jimmy Butler (24.6 points, 5.4 assists and 1.8 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The 76ers won the last contest 93-91. The 76ers played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.0 and a turnover percentage of 14.3. For those same stats, the Timberwolves were 20.0 and 15.8, respectively.
Philadelphia 76ers at Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Under
- The 76ers rank first in rebounds per game (48.7) while the Timberwolves rank 19th (42.3).
- Minnesota ranks 10th in points off turnovers per game (17.9) while Philadelphia ranks 25th (15.7).
- Philadelphia ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.0) while Minnesota ranks 28th (3.5).
- Philadelphia is 7-6 ATS on the road with 8 overs and 5 unders.
- Minnesota is 4-8-1 ATS at home with 7 unders, 5 overs and 1 push.
- Minnesota is 8-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Philadelphia is 4-0.
- When scoring above 100 points, the 76ers are 12-8 and the Timberwolves are 14-6.
- The 76ers average 47.5 points in the paint per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank 22nd in points allowed in the paint per (45.8).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Philadelphia ranks 27th (8.9).
- The 76ers rank third in assists per game (25.9) while the Timberwolves rank 24th in assists allowed per game (24.2).
- The 76ers rank 16th in three pointers attempted per game (29.7) while the Timberwolves rank 28th (22.6).
- Minnesota ranks third in second chance points per game (14.6) while Philadelphia ranks 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Minnesota is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.2 points per game (3.4 above their season average).