The Philadelphia 76ers (7-6) travel to Los Angeles to play the Lakers (6-8) in a game that will likely be up-tempo. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 219.5 points with Philadelphia opening as a 3-point favorite. Action gets underway at 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 15, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Philadelphia 76ers at Los Angeles Lakers Free Preview
The 76ers beat the Los Angeles Clippers in their last contest, 109-105. Joel Embiid was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 11-for-20 shooting. Philadelphia dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 24.4) and a free throw rate of 0.338 (above their season average of 0.171). For those same stats, Los Angeles was 18.0 and 0.256, respectively.
The last time the Lakers played, they defeated the Phoenix Suns, 100-93. With 25 points on 11-for-19 shooting, Jordan Clarkson led Los Angeles in scoring. Los Angeles effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Phoenix. The Lakers had a rate of 0.500 (above their season average of 0.496), while the Suns posted a mark of 0.426 (below their season average of 0.489).
There should be plenty of transition action in this matchup that showcases two of the leagues more up-and-down teams. Los Angeles currently ranks second in possessions per game (105.8) and Philadelphia is fourth (104.3).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Philadelphia games have gone over 61.5 percent of the time, while games including Los Angeles have gone under 64.3 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the 76ers have a clear advantage. They are 7-6 SU and 9-4 ATS, while the Lakers are 6-8 SU and 7-7 ATS.
Robert Covington has been superb over the last five games for Philadelphia, averaging 18.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The 76ers won the last matchup 118-116. Philadelphia made good use of their 32 trips to the free throw line, converting on 26 of them (81.3 percent). Los Angeles, on the other hand, was 24-28 (85.7 percent).
Philadelphia 76ers at Los Angeles Lakers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Under
- The 76ers average 8.5 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Lakers rank 25th in steals allowed per game (9.0).
- Philadelphia ranks second in assists per game (26.3) while Los Angeles ranks 15th (21.6).
- Los Angeles ranks first in points in the paint per game (53.9) while Philadelphia ranks 16th (44.2).
- Philadelphia ranks sixth in second chance points per game (13.6) while Los Angeles ranks 15th in second chance points allowed per game (12.2).
- Philadelphia is 6-3 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Los Angeles is 4-3 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Philadelphia is 2-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Los Angeles is 3-2.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Lakers are 6-2 and the 76ers are 6-4.
- The Lakers rank fourth in fast break points per game (14.2) while the 76ers rank 19th (8.8).
- Philadelphia ranks second in rebounds per game (47.8) while Los Angeles ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (45.9).
- The Lakers rank fourth in blocks per game (5.9) while the 76ers rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (6.2).
- The 76ers average 15.9 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 19th in the league. The Lakers rank 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (21.1).
- Philadelphia ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (31.2) while Los Angeles ranks 27th (24.1).
- Los Angeles is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 111.2 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.2 points per game (1.7 above their season average).