A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Minnesota Golden Gophers (9-7, 3-3 Big 10) when they welcome the Penn State Nittany Lions (12-4, 2-3 Big 10) to Williams Arena. The game is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
Penn State Nittany Lions at Minnesota Golden Gophers ATS Odds
In their last outing, the Golden Gophers were victorious over the 19th-ranked Michigan Wolverines, 75-67, while the Nittany Lions were beaten by the Wisconsin Badgers, 58-49.
Minnesota dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.294 (above their season average of 0.196) and a turnover percentage of 7.4 (better than their season average of 16.7). For those same stats, Michigan recorded marks of 0.081 and 11.0, respectively. Penn State, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (10-14; 71.4 percent). Minnesota was lifted by Marcus Carr, who put up 21 points and 12 assists. Lamar Stevens, meanwhile had a good outing for Penn State, contributing 19 points and 13 rebounds.
The Golden Gophers dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the most recent game, Minnesota won 77-72. One of Minnesota’s largest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They had 31 free throw attempts, while Penn State had just 12. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The offensive glass could be a huge advantage for Minnesota in this showdown. The Golden Gophers currently rank 63rd in offensive rebounding percentage (32.6 percent), while Penn State ranks 167th in defensive rebounding percentage (72.2 percent).
Penn State Nittany Lions at Minnesota Golden Gophers Betting Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Minnesota, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Over
- Minnesota averages 39.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 43rd in the nation. Penn State ranks 216th in rebounds allowed per game (37.5).
- The Nittany Lions average 14.9 assists per game, which ranks 56th in the NCAA. The Golden Gophers rank 139th in assists allowed per game (12.9).
- Minnesota ranks 40th in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while Penn State ranks 91st (20.5).
- The Nittany Lions rank 26th in steals per game (8.8) while the Golden Gophers rank 181st (5.6).
- Penn State averages 6.1 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the country. Minnesota ranks 96th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- The Nittany Lions’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.6, down from 10.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Gophers have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (1.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (4.1 above their season average).