Expect a high-scoring game when the 16th-ranked Penn State Nittany Lions (21-7, 11-6 Big 10) clash against the 18th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes (19-9, 10-7 Big 10) at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The game starts at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Penn State Nittany Lions at Iowa Hawkeyes Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Hawkeyes fell to the 24th-ranked Michigan State Spartans, 78-70, while the Nittany Lions edged the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, 65-64.
Penn State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.220) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below their season average of 29.2). For those same stats, Rutgers was 0.094 and 23.1, respectively. Iowa, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.0 (above their season average of 32.0). Iowa received a boost from Luka Garza, who recorded 20 points and nine rebounds. Izaiah Brockington, meanwhile played well for Penn State, finishing with 16 points and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Brockington led the Nittany Lions to an 89-86 win. He produced 23 points. Penn State had a much better turnover percentage (8.9 vs. 16.9). Iowa, on the other hand, was lights out from beyond the arc (11-26; 42.3 percent).
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the high-powered offense of Iowa (22nd in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 111.5) takes on the elite defense of Penn State (49th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 94.4). Ball security should be an advantage for the Nittany Lions. They rank 30th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.5 percent), while the Hawkeyes force the 98th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents’ turnover percentage of 18.1 percent).
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Iowa Hawkeyes Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Iowa, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Under
- Penn State ranks 67th in assists per game (14.3) while Iowa ranks 252nd in assists allowed per game (15.1).
- The Nittany Lions rank 19th in blocks per game (5.0) while the Hawkeyes rank 146th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Penn State ranks 46th in steals per game (7.8) while Iowa ranks 132nd (6.4).
- The Nittany Lions rank 69th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while the Hawkeyes rank 246th (24.1).
- Iowa ranks 66th in rebounds per game (37.7) while Penn State ranks 231st in rebounds allowed per game (37.2).
- During their last five games, the Nittany Lions have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (6.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (0.9 below their season average).
- The Hawkeyes’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 6.1 for the season.