The Loyola Marymount Lions (9-19, 4-13 WCC) and Pacific Tigers (14-16, 9-8 WCC) will square off at Albert Gersten Pavilion to wrap up the regular season. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
Pacific Tigers vs. Loyola Marymount Lions Free Preview
The last time the Tigers played, they fell to the San Francisco Dons, 84-74. With 41 points on 12-for-19 shooting, Roberto Gallinat was the top scorer from either team. San Francisco held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.2 (below their season average of 31.3). Pacific, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (20-26; 76.9 percent).
The Lions come in on a high note after edging the Santa Clara Broncos in their last outing, 65-64. With 19 points on 9-for-13 shooting, Mattias Markusson was Loyola Marymount’s leading scorer. The Lions held the Broncos to an effective field goal percentage of 0.465 (below the 0.566 mark opponents have averaged against Loyola Marymount this season). The Broncos had a free throw rate of 0.193 (below their season average of 0.229).
The offensive glass could be a major advantage for Loyola Marymount in this matchup. The Lions rank 16th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.6 percent), while Pacific ranks 136th in defensive rebounding percentage (72.3 percent). Also, the Tigers are among the NCAA’s best at getting to the line, ranking 24th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.296). The Lions, meanhwile, rank 336th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents FTA rate of 0.313.
Gallinat has been superb over the last five games for Pacific, averaging 18.8 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Tigers won 88-82. The Tigers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.547 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.557. For those same stats, the Lions were 0.234 and 0.523, respectively. Miles Reynolds was the games leading scorer with 23 points.
Pacific Tigers vs. Loyola Marymount Lions Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Pacific, ATS Winner – Pacific, O/U – Under
- The Lions rank 258th in three pointers attempted per game (18.8) while the Tigers rank 313th (14.3).
- Pacific ranks 205th in rebounds per game (34.1) while Loyola Marymount ranks 250th (33.1).
- Pacific ranks 60th in blocks per game (4.1) while Loyola Marymount ranks 197th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- The Tigers rank 17th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Lions rank 115th (6.3).
- Pacific ranks 185th in assists allowed per game (14.2) while Loyola Marymount ranks 260th (16.3).
- The Lions average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 4.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 66.0 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (4.4 below their season average).