Madison Square Garden plays host to an Eastern Conference showdown as the Ottawa Senators take on the New York Rangers. The match gets going at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 19, and it is being shown live on Sportsnet.
Ottawa Senators at New York Rangers Odds
Losing -4.3 units for moneyline bettors, New York is 9-11 straight up (SU) overall this year. That early-season winning percentage is a regression from the 48-34 record that the team posted during last years regular season campaign. Of the teams 20 games this season, 12 have gone over the total, while seven have gone under and just one has pushed. Thus far, the team is 7-6 SU at home.
The Rangers have been able to convert on 23.6 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark thats good enough for sixth-best in the NHL. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 18th overall, and theyve successfully killed off 80.6 percent of all penalties.
As a team, the Rangers have been penalized just 3.9 times per game overall this season, and 2.8 per game over their last five contests at home. The teams had to defend opponent power plays for just 8.3 minutes per game over their last 10 outings, overall.
Sporting a .908 save percentage and 27.7 saves per game, Henrik Lundqvist (8-9-2) has been the primary goalkeeper for New York this year. If New York decides to give him the night off, however, the team could go with Ondrej Pavelec (1-4-4 record, .886 save percentage, 3.69 goals against average).
The Broadway Blueshirts will continue relying on leadership from Mika Zibanejad and Kevin Shattenkirk. Zibanejad (19 points) is up to nine goals and 10 assists and has recorded multiple points four times this year. Shattenkirk has five goals and 12 assists to his name and has recorded a point in 13 contests.
Ottawa is 8-10 straight up (SU) and has lost 3.4 units for moneyline bettors this year. A total of 11 of its matches have gone over the total, while six have gone under and none have pushed. The Senators are 4-1 SU as an away team this season.
The Senators have converted on 18.3 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a mark thats right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 21st overall and its successfully defended 78.8 percent of all penalties.
Ottawas players have been penalized only 3.7 times per game in total this season, 3.6 per game over their past five contests total, and 3.6 per game over their last five games as the visiting team. The team has been forced to defend opponent power plays just 8.9 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Craig Anderson (2.92 goals against average and .898 save percentage) has been the primary option in goal for Ottawa. Anderson is averaging 24.4 saves per game and has seven wins, seven losses, and three OT losses to his credit.
Leading the offensive attack for the visiting Senators will be Mark Stone (13 goals, seven assists) and Erik Karlsson (one goal, 16 assists).
Ottawa Senators vs. New York Rangers Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Rangers, O/U – Under
- Seven of New Yorks last ten games have been decided by two or more goals, and the team is 5-2 overall in those games.
- The Senators are 0-4 SU in games where they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Rangers are 2-5 SU when they serve more minutes than the opposition.
- Two of Ottawas last ten games have ended in a shootout. The team is 0-2 in those games and 1-4 overall in shootouts this season.
- The over has hit in three of New Yorks last five outings.
- New York is ranked 30th this season with 14.9 giveaways per game. That figure has trended lower recently, however, as the teams averaged 13.8 giveaways over its last 10 games and 12.4 giveaways over its last five.
- Ottawa has averaged 7.0 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 10.6 giveaways per game (ranked 23rd in the NHL).
- Ottawa skaters have accounted for the ninth-most hits in the league (22.4 per game), but that numbers down to just 16.2 hits over their last five away games.