The Portland Trail Blazers (7-6) will be at home in Moda Center at the Rose Quarter when they square off with the Orlando Magic (8-6). Portland is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 210.5 points. Action begins at 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 15, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic vs. Portland Trail Blazers Odds Preview
The Magic fell to the Golden State Warriors in their last outing, 110-100. Orlando’s Nikola Vucevic put together a good game, leading the team in scoring with 20 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Golden State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.9 (above their season average of 22.6). Orlando, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 14.4).
In the Trail Blazers’ last matchup, they defeated the Denver Nuggets, 99-82. Damian Lillard played a pivotal role for Portland with 15 points, seven assists and five rebounds. Portland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.219 (below their season average of 0.234) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.568 (above their season average of 0.490). Denver was 0.155 and 0.411, respectively, for those same stats.
The offensive glass should be a huge advantage for Portland in this meeting. The Trail Blazers currently rank third in offensive rebounding percentage (26.3 percent), while Orlando ranks 28th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.5 percent). Also, the Magic rank fourth in effective field goal percentage (0.541), while the Trail Blazers rank second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.484).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. Orlando games have finished under 57.1 percent of the time, while 69.2 percent of games including Portland have finished under. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (8-6 for Orlando; 7-6 for Portland), but the Magic have the edge against the spread (ATS). Orlando is 8-6 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 5-7-1.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Trail Blazers won the most recent game 112-103. Portland’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Orlando. The Trail Blazers had a rate of 0.562 while the Magic posted a mark of 0.436.
Orlando Magic at Portland Trail Blazers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank 11th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.2) while the Magic rank 28th (51.9).
- Portland ranks 15th in second chance points per game (12.3) while Orlando ranks 25th (9.3).
- Orlando ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Portland ranks 25th (6.3).
- Orlando is 5-3 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, Portland is 3-6 ATS with 7 unders and 2 overs.
- Portland is 5-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Orlando is 5-0.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 6-3 and the Magic are 8-4.
- The Magic rank 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.6) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (24.8).
- Portland ranks second in rebounds per game (47.8) while Orlando ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (46.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in assists allowed per game (16.8) while the Magic rank 25th (24.1).
- Orlando ranks 10th in fast break points per game (11.4) while Portland ranks 28th (4.6).
- Portland is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, down from 5.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (2.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (2.2 above their season average).