Southeast Division foes will collide when the Atlanta Hawks (5-19) clash against the Orlando Magic (11-16) at Philips Arena. Atlanta is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 212.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic vs. Atlanta Hawks Odds Preview
The last time the Magic played, they were beaten by the Denver Nuggets, 103-89. Orlando’s Nikola Vucevic had 21 points and 17 rebounds in the game. Denver held the Magic to an effective field goal percentage of 0.428 (below their season average of 0.531). Orlando, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (18-23; 78.3 percent).
The last time the Hawks played it was against the Magic. The two teams combined for 216 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 215. The Magic won 110-106, but were unable to cover as 6-point favorites. The Magic dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.5 and a turnover percentage of 13.1. The Hawks were 22.0 and 14.3, respectively, for those same stats. Vucevic put up a double-double in the victory with 22 points and 16 rebounds.
Orlando appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Magic rank eighth in effective field goal percentage (0.527), while Atlanta ranks 27th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.541).
Of Orlando’s 26 games that accepted bets, 14 have finished over the projected point total, while 12 of Atlanta’s 24 games have finished over the projected point total. The Magic hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (11-16 vs. 5-19), but the Hawks have been better against the spread (ATS) (11-12-1 vs. 11-14-1).
Jonathon Simmons has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Orlando, averaging 14.0 points per game.
Orlando Magic at Atlanta Hawks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Magic, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Over
- The Hawks rank 12th in second chance points per game (12.5) while the Magic rank 29th in second chance points allowed per game (14.0).
- Atlanta ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.8) while Orlando ranks 29th (49.9).
- Atlanta ranks fourth in steals per game (9.0) while Orlando ranks 20th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Atlanta ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (45.3) while Orlando ranks 29th (46.6).
- Orlando is 7-7-1 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 5-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Hawks 11 home games, while 8 of the Magic’s 15 road games have gone over.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Atlanta is 1-2 and Orlando is 5-1.
- The Hawks are 5-11 when they reach 100 points, while the Magic are 11-9.
- The Magic rank ninth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Hawks rank 25th (3.7).
- Orlando ranks fifth in assists per game (23.3) while Atlanta ranks last in assists allowed per game (26.0).
- The Magic rank sixth in three pointers allowed per game (26.3) while the Hawks rank 29th (33.1).
- The Magic average 10.9 fast break points per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. The Hawks rank 21st in fast break points allowed per game (11.6).
- Atlanta ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (19.0) while Orlando ranks 22nd (15.9).
- Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 5.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 102.0 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (1.4 below their season average).