The Orlando Magic (12-28) look to snap a seven-game road losing streak when they meet the Dallas Mavericks (13-28) at American Airlines Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 212.5 points with Dallas opening as a 6-point favorite. Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic at Dallas Mavericks ATS Preview
In the Magic’s last matchup, they lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers, 131-127. Aaron Gordon had a solid performance for Orlando, leading the team in scoring with 30 points on 13-for-26 shooting. Cleveland did a great job of converting from the free throw line (22-31; 71.0 percent). Orlando, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.1 (above their season average of 19.4).
The Mavericks are hoping for a better outcome after their 100-96 loss to the New York Knicks in their last matchup. Harrison Barnes was Dallas high scorer with 25 points on 10-for-22 shooting. New York had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (24.4 vs. 15.5). Dallas, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 6.4 (better than their season average of 11.9).
Orlando could have a tough time creating turnovers. Dallas ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.6 percent), while Orlando forces the 20th-most turnovers (13.7 percent). Furthermore, the Magic, who rank 27th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.7 percent), will go head-to-head against the Mavericks, who rank fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.6 percent).
Of Orlando’s 40 games, 21 have finished under the O/U total, while 21 of Dallas 41 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have dreadful straight up (SU) records (12-28 for Orlando; 13-28 for Dallas), but the Mavericks have the edge against the spread (ATS). Dallas is 20-21 ATS, while the Magic are 14-25-1.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Magic, it’s been Elfrid Payton, who has averaged 15.4 points, 7.6 assists, 5.2 rebounds and 1.8 steals, while the Mavericks have gotten solid contributions from Dennis Smith Jr. (15.6 points, 6.4 assists and 1.4 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Mavericks won the last game 112-80. The Mavericks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.588 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 29.3. The Magic were 0.409 and 22.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Orlando Magic vs. Dallas Mavericks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Over
- The Magic rank 11th in fast break points per game (12.2) while the Mavericks rank last in fast break points allowed per game (14.6).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (32.0) while Orlando ranks 13th (29.4).
- Orlando ranks 15th in blocks per game (4.7) while Dallas ranks 27th (3.7).
- Orlando ranks 21st in steals per game (7.3) while Dallas ranks 27th (6.7).
- Orlando is 8-12-1 ATS on the road, while Dallas is 10-12 ATS at home.
- In 21 road games, the Magic have 11 overs and 10 unders.
- The Mavericks have 11 unders, 10 overs and 1 push in 22 home games.
- Dallas is 10-8 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Orlando is 6-3.
- The Mavericks are 8-12 when they score above 100 points, while the Magic are 12-14.
- The Mavericks rank 15th in assists per game (22.6) while the Magic rank 27th in assists allowed per game (24.7).
- Dallas ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (40.0) while Orlando ranks 29th (48.8).
- The Mavericks rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.4) while the Magic rank 25th (13.5).
- The Magic rank 19th in rebounds per game (42.0) while the Mavericks rank 26th (40.5).
- Dallas ranks second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.4) while Orlando ranks 23rd (18.0).
- Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Mavericks have outscored opponents by an average of 0.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Dallas has been defeated by an average of 2.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 106.6 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.2 points per game (0.5 below their season average).