The Orlando Magic (12-25) look to put an end to a six-game road losing streak when they take on the Brooklyn Nets (13-23) at Barclays Center. Brooklyn opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 217 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets Betting Preview
The Magic were beaten by the Miami Heat in their last outing, 117-111. Orlando’s Aaron Gordon had a good game, leading both teams in scoring with 39 points on 14-for-22 shooting. Miami had a turnover percentage of 7.7 (better than their season average of 14.1). Orlando, on the other hand, made 12 of their 27 three pointers (44.4 percent).
In the Nets last matchup, they were defeated by the Boston Celtics, 108-105. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson was Brooklyn’s high scorer with 22 points on 10-for-21 shooting. Boston was lights out from beyond the arc (14-33; 42.4 percent). Brooklyn, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 13.3).
Brooklyn could have a difficult time creating turnovers. Orlando ranks 18th in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.3 percent), while Brooklyn forces the second-fewest turnovers (12.6 percent).
Of Orlando’s 37 games, 19 have finished under the O/U total, while 19 of Brooklyn’s 35 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Nets have a significant advantage. They are 13-23 SU and 20-15 ATS, while the Magic are 12-25 SU and 13-23-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Magic, it’s been Elfrid Payton, who has averaged 20.0 points, 7.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals, while the Nets have gotten solid contributions from Hollis-Jefferson (17.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.2 steals).
These two teams have met twice already this season, each winning once. In the most recent matchup, Gordon scored a game-high 41 points and the Magic beat the Nets 125-121 but could not cover as 4.5-point favorites. He also recorded 14 rebounds. The two teams combined for 246 points, which was 17.5 points above the projected point total of 228.5 points. The Magic dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.422 and a solid turnover percentage of 9.9. For those same stats, the Nets recorded marks of 0.313 and 12.6, respectively.
Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nets, ATS Winner – Nets, O/U – Under
- The Magic average 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. The Nets rank 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.5).
- Orlando ranks 20th in steals per game (7.4) while Brooklyn ranks 29th (6.5).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.3) while Orlando ranks 14th (29.2).
- Orlando is 8-11-1 ATS on the road, while Brooklyn is 8-7 ATS at home.
- In 20 road games, the Magic have 11 overs and 9 unders.
- The Nets have 8 overs and 7 unders in 15 home games.
- When allowing below 100 points, Brooklyn is 8-0 and Orlando is 6-2.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Magic are 12-13 and the Nets are 11-17.
- The Nets rank 14th in second chance points per game (12.1) while the Magic rank 26th (10.1).
- Brooklyn ranks fourth in rebounds per game (45.5) while Orlando ranks 29th in rebounds allowed per game (46.4).
- The Nets rank ninth in assists allowed per game (21.6) while the Magic rank 28th (24.9).
- The Nets rank 15th in fast break points per game (10.8) while the Magic rank 22nd in fast break points allowed per game (12.4).
- Brooklyn ranks 13th in points in the paint per game (44.0) while Orlando ranks 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.5).
- Brooklyn is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Nets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 2.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 100.4 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.8 points per game (0.4 above their season average).