The Orlando Magic (8-10) visit TD Garden to go head-to-head against the Boston Celtics (16-3). The Magic will try to snap their six-game losing streak. Boston opened as an 8.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 24, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic at Boston Celtics Odds Preview
The Magic lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last game, 124-118. Aaron Gordon had a good game for Orlando, leading the team in scoring with 26 points on 11-for-18 shooting. Minnesota did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (36-45; 80.0 percent). Orlando, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.571 vs. 0.506).
In the Celtics last matchup, they were beaten by the Miami Heat, 104-98. With 18 points and seven rebounds, Jayson Tatum had a solid performance for Boston. Miami held the Celtics to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.6 (below their season average of 23.2). Boston, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 15.4).
Boston should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Boston ranks fourth in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.7 percent), while Orlando forces the ninth-fewest turnovers (14.2 percent). Furthermore, the Magic rank 27th in offensive rebounding percentage (18.4 percent), while the Celtics rank first in defensive rebounding percentage (82.0 percent).
Games including these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. Orlando games have finished under 55.6 percent of the time, while Boston games have finished under 57.9 percent of the time. The Celtics hold a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 16-3 SU and 15-3-1 ATS, while the Magic are 8-10 SU and 9-8-1 ATS.
Marcus Morris has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 12.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 192 points, well under the projected point total of 209.5. The Celtics won 104-88, covering as 3.5-point favorites. Boston had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.396). Orlando, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (16-18; 88.9 percent). Gordon finished with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
Orlando Magic at Boston Celtics ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank second in second chance points allowed per game (9.5) while the Magic rank 20th (13.6).
- Orlando ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.2) while Boston ranks 17th (4.9).
- Boston ranks 13th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.5) while Orlando ranks 28th (51.0).
- Orlando ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.2) while Boston ranks seventh (26.4).
- Orlando is 6-3-1 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- Boston is 6-1-1 ATS at home with 5 unders and 3 overs.
- When allowing less than 100 points, Boston is 13-0 and Orlando is 5-1.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Celtics are 11-1 and the Magic are 8-5.
- The Celtics rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (8.5) while the Magic rank 18th (11.6).
- Boston ranks fourth in rebounds per game (47.2) while Orlando ranks 25th in rebounds allowed per game (46.4).
- The Celtics rank sixth in assists allowed per game (20.6) while the Magic rank 25th (24.3).
- The Celtics rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Magic rank 16th (17.7).
- Boston ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.4) while Orlando ranks 19th (8.6).
- Boston is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, down from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 98.8 points per game (8.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.6 points per game (3.6 above their season average).