The South Carolina Gamecocks (16-15, 7-11 SEC) and the Ole Miss Rebels (12-19, 5-13 SEC) square off in the Southeastern Conference Tourney at Scottrade Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145.5 points with South Carolina set as a 3-point favorite. Action begins at 9:25 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Ole Miss Rebels vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Odds Preview
The Rebels fell to the Vanderbilt Commodores in their last outing, 82-69. With 17 points on 7-for-9 shooting, Bruce Stevens was Ole Miss’ leading scorer. Vanderbilt had an effective field goal percentage of 0.636 (above their season average of 0.516). Ole Miss, on the other hand, held the Commodores to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.8 (below their season average of 29.2).
In the Gamecocks’ last game, they were defeated by the No. 14 Auburn Tigers, 79-70. Frank Booker was South Carolina’s high scorer with 27 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Auburn did a great job of converting from the free throw line (24-29; 82.8 percent). South Carolina, on the other hand, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (below their season average of 33.9).
The offensive glass should be a major edge for South Carolina in this contest. The Gamecocks currently rank 49th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.4 percent), while Ole Miss ranks 271st in defensive rebounding percentage (69.3 percent). Moreover, the Rebels commit the 31st-fewest errors in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of the Gamecocks causes the 37th-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 21.6 percent).
Of Ole Miss’ 30 games that accepted bets, 18 have finished under the O/U total, while 15 of South Carolina’s 30 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Gamecocks have a clear advantage. They are 16-15 SU and 15-14-1 ATS, while the Rebels are 12-19 SU and 10-20 ATS.
Stevens has been on fire over the last five games for Ole Miss, averaging 11.0 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 143 points, which was under the projected point total of 148.5. The Rebels won 74-69, covering as 2-point favorites. The Rebels dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.531 and a turnover percentage of 11.2. For those same stats, the Gamecocks were 0.293 and 16.8, respectively. In the loss, Chris Silva had a double-double with 21 points and 13 rebounds.
Ole Miss Rebels vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – South Carolina, ATS Winner – South Carolina, O/U – Over
- The Rebels rank 54th in blocks per game (4.2) while the Gamecocks rank 211th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Ole Miss ranks 128th in steals per game (6.2) while South Carolina ranks 208th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- South Carolina ranks 43rd in assists allowed per game (11.4) while Ole Miss ranks 273rd (16.6).
- The Gamecocks rank 85th in rebounds per game (36.9) while the Rebels rank 270th in rebounds allowed per game (38.4).
- South Carolina ranks 70th in three pointers allowed per game (20.1) while Ole Miss ranks 248th (23.9).
- South Carolina is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Ole Miss is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Gamecocks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rebels have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 83.4 points per game (5.5 above their season average).