Both the No. 6 West Virginia Mountaineers (13-1, 2-0 Big 12) challenge the No. 7 Oklahoma Sooners (12-1, 2-0 Big 12) will attempt to prolong their winning streaks when they square off at WVU Coliseum. The Mountaineers have won 13 consecutive games, while the Sooners have won their last 10 games. West Virginia is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 174.5 points. Action starts at 7:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Oklahoma Sooners vs. West Virginia Mountaineers Odds Preview
The last time the Sooners played, they won big over the Oklahoma State Cowboys, 109-89. With 27 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds, Trae Young put together a good outing for Oklahoma. The Sooners made 24 of their 34 free throws (70.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.664 (above their season average of 0.587).
The Mountaineers will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Kansas State Wildcats in their last outing, 77-69. With 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Teddy Allen was the games leading scorer. The Mountaineers held the Wildcats to an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 (below their season average of 32.2) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.503).
It might turn into a shootout as two of the nations premier offenses go head-to-head. West Virginia currently ranks 41st with 115.0 points per 100 possessions and Oklahoma is 10th (120.7). Additionally, the Sooners commit the 24th-fewest errors in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent), while the pesky defense of the Mountaineers causes the second-most (opponents turnover percentage of 28.1 percent).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Mountaineers won the last contest 61-50. The Mountaineers 18.7 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Sooners, who had a rate of 29.3.
Oklahoma Sooners vs. West Virginia Mountaineers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – West Virginia, ATS Winner – Oklahoma, O/U – Under
- The Sooners rank 21st in blocks per game (5.6) while the Mountaineers rank 96th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- West Virginia ranks fifth in steals per game (10.5) while Oklahoma ranks 60th (7.4).
- West Virginia ranks 26th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while Oklahoma ranks 251st in three pointers allowed per game (26.8).
- The Mountaineers average 40.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 24th in the nation. The Sooners rank 225th in rebounds allowed per game (38.5).
- West Virginia ranks 46th in assists per game (16.4) while Oklahoma ranks 168th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- The Mountaineers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.8, down from 19.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sooners have scored an average of 99.8 points per game (4.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average).