The Oklahoma City Thunder (20-10), 1-point favorites, will be at Vivint Smart Home Arena to take on the Utah Jazz (16-17) in a Northwest Division matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 219 points and action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 22, 2018.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Utah Jazz Betting Odds
Both teams comfortably covered as favorites in their last outing. The Jazz (2-point favorites) defeated the Portland Trail Blazers 120-90, while the Thunder (4-point favorites) beat the Sacramento Kings 132-113. The Utah game went 12.5 points under the projected point total of 222.5, while the Oklahoma City game went 13 points over the projected point total of 232.
The Thunder, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.6, had a phenomenal mark of 35.3 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.564 (above their season average of 0.507). Meanwhile, Utah’s 0.647 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Portland, who had a rate of 0.460. The Jazz’s mark was above their season average of 0.522, while the Trail Blazers’ was below their season average of 0.521. Ricky Rubio was a key piece for Utah with 24 points and eight assists. Meanwhile, Paul George had a good outing for Oklahoma City, recording 43 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists.
In their first matchup this year, Russell Westbrook led the Thunder to a 122-113 victory. He registered a triple-double with 12 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists. The two teams combined to put up 235 points, which was well over the projected point total of 218, and Oklahoma City covered as a 5-point favorite. Oklahoma City did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (28-39; 71.8 percent). Utah, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.560 vs. 0.553).
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Thunder games, with 16 unders compared to 14 overs. Oklahoma City heads into the game with records of 20-10 straight up (SU) and 17-13 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Oklahoma City, games involving the Jazz have finished over the projected point total 53.1 percent of the time. Further, Utah is 16-17 SU and 15-16-1 ATS.
Utah might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Oklahoma City ranks first in defensive efficiency while the Jazz rank 22nd in offensive efficiency. It will also be a showdown of contrasting styles as the aggressively-paced Thunder rank fifth in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Jazz rank 23rd.
Thunder at Jazz Betting Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank 2 in three pointers allowed per game (27.515151515151516) while the Thunder rank 7 (29.266666666666666).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (10.5) while Utah ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (9.0).
- The Thunder rank sixth in fast break points per game (16.4) while the Jazz rank 27th (10.1).
- Oklahoma City ranks third in second chance points per game (15.5) while Utah ranks 20th (12.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks 4 in points in the paint per game (52.93333333333333) while Utah ranks 14 (48.303030303030305).
- The Thunder average 21.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Jazz rank 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- The Jazz rank 1 in assists allowed per game (21.12121212121212) while the Thunder rank 12 (23.733333333333334).
- Oklahoma City averages 5.533333333333333 blocks per game, which ranks 9 in the NBA. Utah ranks 13 in blocks allowed per game (4.878787878787879).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in rebounds per game (48.7) while Utah ranks 24th (43.6).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Oklahoma City is 6-0 and Utah is 7-3.
- The Jazz are 14-8 when they reach the century mark, while the Thunder are 18-5.
- Oklahoma City is 8-7 ATS on the road, while Utah is 7-5 ATS at home.
- In 15 road games, the Thunder have 10 unders and 5 overs.
- The Jazz have 8 overs and 4 unders in 12 home games.
- The Jazz are 2-2-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Thunder are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Utah has 4 unders and 1 over, while Oklahoma City has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 105.0 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 95.0 points per game (10.9 below their season average).
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 6.9 for the season.